10" Intercooler Fan Installation Pics.

darkstar_one

Hey, Here is my installation of my 10" intercooler fan that blows a beastly 1600 CFM... i call it my little hurricane. All it cost me was a measly 30 bucks. pretty good.

bigbrakepackage010.jpg

sweet

so how haave you mounted it? did you have to pull the intercooler and put it back in?

and where did you get it from?

It looks a lot like mine. I made some fins up to cover the gaps on the sides. I haven't really noticed a difference in cooling but it does pull more air through the core. Mine was $10 from a junkyard dodge raider.

Man that thing looks like a monster on there. Mine is like just barely as wide as the intercooler itself. Dont suck any stray animals in there :eek: :D

Shane

Jeremy_K said:
It looks a lot like mine. I made some fins up to cover the gaps on the sides. I haven't really noticed a difference in cooling but it does pull more air through the core. Mine was $10 from a junkyard dodge raider.

I agree, you need to block off the flow to the side of the IC. On mine, I used a piece of plexiglass. It overlaps about a 1/4" into the IC area and then I used black silicone sealer to seal the rest of the plexiglass to the fan.

Not sure if I noticed a performance difference, but it has to help.

installation was fairly simple, around 15 minutes total, 5 minuts for the installation, and 10 minutes looking for my zip ties. this aint no fancy professional installation, although it does look like it. anywho, i just ziptied the top 2 little ears of the fan, i passed the ziptie through the fins of the radiator, and passed it through the mounting ear and applied another zip tie there to tighten it up... i will draw a picture later. it tightens enough on both mounting ears that you dont need to tighten up the bottom ones. well that and because there really isnt anything to tighten them up too.. i will take a another picture and show you guys how i mounted it.

yes i was pondering that too about sealing off the sides that overlap, but i dont know how, i guess i will just put some cardboard on it for now. until i get my lazy ~~~ at home depot and buy a sheet of aluminum or something.

i tested it, and it seems to pull alot of air through the core, it almost sucked me in.

and yes i hope i dont suck any animal in there, because my friends dad sucked in a cat that was sleeping in the engine bay on his dodge ram, crazy.

OHH AND MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL, I DIDNT PULL OFF THE IC TO INSTALL IT...

Last edited:
Because that fan is not shrouded, you will not get the full cfm as you will have air wrap (air that gets sucked from the back to the front of the fan)around the fan cowling itself. You'd probably get at the most 60% capacity out of that fan.

I bet I could get a little 6" fan at 600CFM to pull way more air through the IC with a proper shroud than that non-shrouded 10" will any day.

Has anyone thought of mounting a fan on the power steering pump and made a shroud to the IC... woudln't have to worry about drawing more electrical power and it will run ALL the time ;).

Frit

how did you wire up the fan ?? I got mine in but am not good with electrical ~~~~ in cars, and am looking for an easier way, so any help would be appreciated, thanks

Tony

DIC ears, for 10"

I had alum. ears heli-arc'ed to the side of my DIC. Then bolt the 10" to the ears. Mark the outside of the fan with a pencil. Remove the fan, & trim the ears to fit the fan.

If you use thick enough alum. angle, you can thread the holes & use bolts from the back of the angle. That will make mounting studs for the fan to mount on. I suggest using allen head bolts, as they have smaller heads that conventional bolts. That will give you more room to move the fan to the best location, so you don't have a prob. with the batt. box.

Forum10inch.jpg

You should move the fan as far to the pass. side, as the mounting holes will permit, OR move the fan lower on the DIC. I had interferrance issues between the fan & the batt. box.

68COUGAR

68cougar

IC Fan

You really don't have to go to all that overkill on the CFM. The extra airflow is marginal. Make a shroud, or adapt one to fit. The secret word is...... motorcycle junkyard, water-cooled four-cylinder, cheap!

Back