Car dies when radiator fan kicks on???

D-bird

Exactly what the title says....I'm confused. It happens both in park and in drive. I haven't gotten a chance to pull codes yet, because I just got shoulder surgery and I'm gimpy now. Any ideas??? My dad seems to think it is computer based, but I'm not getting a CEL. Thanks for any help!!!1

-Darrel

Sounds like...

Sounds like the fan is drawing too much current (from a "going bad" fan motor) and is making the alternator draw on the motor AND making the car stall. It could also be that the IAC (Idle Air Control) is not making up for the engine surge and causing the engine to stall. My bet is on the fan motor drawing too much current. Best way to tell is to get someone to do a alternator test and see draw when fan comes on.

Don

Is it just the fan cutting on or do you have the A/C or defrost on as well? A compressor that is locked up can also cut the car off.

No AC and no defroster was on. I'll check and see if the fan is drawing too much current. Thanks for the help

-Darrel

Checked for vacuum leaks? Cause seriously, all the "juice" those little fan wires could muster wont stall a healthy car. You also said it was kicking on, hence, it was running and not shorting out. Try checking for loose or leaking hose ends, then reset yur eec and do the relearn thingy.

D-bird said:
Exactly what the title says....I'm confused. It happens both in park and in drive. I haven't gotten a chance to pull codes yet, because I just got shoulder surgery and I'm gimpy now. Any ideas??? My dad seems to think it is computer based, but I'm not getting a CEL. Thanks for any help!!!1

-Darrel
i recently had a similar problem to yours, however it wasnt to the point where the engine was stalling. when my fan turned on it caused the rpm's to drop way down, nearly stalling the engine. instantly however the rpm's settled back to normal idle while the fan was running. i replaced the iac, didnt do anything. turns out the fan motor itself was drawing to much current when it first kicked on.replaced it and voila ! problem solved. may not be the same problem as you but very similar, so hope this helps, and good luck.

Try putting your a/c on at idle and see if the low speed fan comes on. I'm thinking that the low speed winding might be bad and, the high speed is kicking on by itself; which will draw a lot of current. Usually it comes on after the low is already running and the car has reached a higher temperature, like 220 deg. Also what does your temp gauge read, like the "M" in NORM ?

Back