antifreeze leak

operation rob

today, the temp guage in my car was kinda flipping around, jumping from cold to normal to hot etc etc. so i parked it in the driveway and decided i'd wait for it to cool and i see a puddle of anti freeze. so i bring it in the garage and a lot of the underside is covered in antifreeze, and i cant find where the leak is coming from. it's not the radiator because there isnt a wet spot, and it's on the side where the intercooler is. any suggestions/sound familiar at all?

also, this is a little offtopic kinda, but is there anything inside intercoolers? or does the air just flow through there to cool it?

sounds like...

Might be a radiator hose (lower hose) or a hole starting in the radiator. I would get the system pressure tested and see where that leak is coming from. Check the hoses first. Hoses to the oil cooler are also a chance. Always check hoses first and go from there.

P.S. If changing lower hose, change serpintene belt. You need to remove the lower hose anyway to change it!!!

Don

lube70 said:
Might be a radiator hose (lower hose) or a hole starting in the radiator. I would get the system pressure tested and see where that leak is coming from. Check the hoses first. Hoses to the oil cooler are also a chance. Always check hoses first and go from there.

P.S. If changing lower hose, change serpintene belt. You need to remove the lower hose anyway to change it!!!

Don

That and also check where your oil filter is attached, there is an oil cooler with coolant lines going thru that can leak, mine does but only a little....

paul

lube70 said:

Don
i could kind of see the general area where it was leaking from, but nothing specific. i'm bringing it to the garage tomorrow to get it checked out.

thirdbird said:
That and also check where your oil filter is attached, there is an oil cooler with coolant lines going thru that can leak, mine does but only a little....

paul
there seemed to be some oil running off the oil filter/on the lines there. and yes the filter was screwed on tightly :p

It could also be a front timing cover leaking. It has 2 water passages in it on either side of the motor.

so....heres an update on the situation. i decided to go out to some stores about 1/2 hour away since everything seemed to be fine in the car. i'm just about at the store and at a stoplight and i see steam coming out from under the hood, and my friend frantically waving his arms in the car infront of me (he saw antifreeze dripping out from the rear view) so i pull into a mall and pop the hood. the resivor cap is spraying steam out, and it was boiling inside. i left a pretty long trail of antifreeze and a big puddle in the parking lot. after that waited around for my dad to show up with my uncle and a flatbed, and then brought it to the garage. urg. :mad:

David Neibert said:
Is the fan working ? If it is, I'll bet you have a blown head gasket.

David
i'm thinking it's a head gasket too. i went to floor it earlier in like 2nd or 3rd and it just bogged down and didnt do anything, but once it hit 3 or 4k it was all power.

thats how my HG's blew....

operation rob said:
i'm thinking it's a head gasket too. i went to floor it earlier in like 2nd or 3rd and it just bogged down and didnt do anything, but once it hit 3 or 4k it was all power.

Welcome to the club!
You need to take that home or wherever its getting fixed and drain the coolant and oil and run the engine for a minute or two with NO coolant and fresh oil to get the antifreeze out of the crankcase....Half a can of seafoam with that fresh oil wouldn't hurt either.
Don't drive it anymore!
Good Luck, I did the work and the car runs great thus far 1000miles or so(knock on wood).

paul:)

thirdbird said:
Welcome to the club!
You need to take that home or wherever its getting fixed and drain the coolant and oil and run the engine for a minute or two with NO coolant and fresh oil to get the antifreeze out of the crankcase....Half a can of seafoam with that fresh oil wouldn't hurt either.
Don't drive it anymore!
Good Luck, I did the work and the car runs great thus far 1000miles or so(knock on wood).

paul:)
thanks for the advice. there is a 10% pulley on the blower i think. i think i am going to get some headers since i have the full exghaust, except no headers. the blown head gasket just gives me a better excuse to buy some long tubes :D

Back