Headlights Do Not Come On/Flicker On/Off

carlislesc

On my 90 SC, at different times (but not all time), my low beam headlights do not turn on. I get them to turn on by turning on the high beams and then turning the high beams off. This works everytime.

Recently when driving with the high beams on, the lights flickered and went out. I turned off the high beams and the low beams worked without flickering.

I'm going to replace the headlight switch (first). Any thoughts from others on whether this will fix it or if the steering column switch needs replaced also?

Do you run your fog lights alot? If so the connectors for the headlamp switch, the turn signal switch, and the fog lamp switch may have melted. Also there was a recall on the headlamp switch for the flickering problem, but I'm not sure what years were covered.

Thiers a relay somewhere that turns the low beams off when using the highbeams, it couldint hurt to replace it.

You have a bad multifunction switch. If you pull it off, it will have a burned connector (its the turn signal switch) garonteee...

Chris

It's well known that the headlight and combined fog light load is too high for the wiring and switch. Ford did a quick fix with a headlamp switch recall, but offen the multi-purpose switch is damaged as well. If the lights have just started to flicker, then definitely don't use the fog/driving lights at the same time. You can separately wire the fog lights to lessen the load, but the real fix is to use the Competition Lighting harness for about $60 which incorporates a couple of relays and plugs into the stock headlights harness. I installed one on my '93 & '94 and haven't had any problem since; it also allows you to use some brighter bulbs as well. Try Competition Lighting.com

Have a look in the "Links" section of this site and, I'll find my original invoice when I get home tonight.

According to my original invoice it's "www.compltd.com". So give that a try.

I didn't have much luck with that internet address either, so I looked up the old invoice - Competition Limited of Pinckney, MI - (734) 464.1458. You can get just the harness, or a package deal containing the harness and some brighter bulbs that the new harness will support.
Good luck, they worked out great for me.

My 35th seems to have that harness installed and the headlight switch still went bad....or perhaps it went bad before the harness was installed. Just FWIW.

As a quick follow-up on this one. I replaced the headlamp switch. The connector was actually deformed/burnt at connection marked "H" - red/yellow stripe. I had the dealer replace the muti-function swith assembly (turn signal, high beam, etc) and connector.

If you haven't done the recall you should do it. I was able to take apart my multifunction switch and cleaned it with emery paper and contact cleaner. Works great now. Be careful when you take it apart because springs and bearings can fall out (I know because it happened to me). The contacts that may be charred is the one that moves forward and backwards as the lever moves forward or backwards. Have a good eye for where everything goes and how it is lined up.

John

bad multifunction switch? If you run your fog lights alot than that would be the issue I had the same problem on my 89 SHO

isnt there a switch in the steering collum on these cars that goes bad or is that the multifunction switch your all talking about

Well, just be warned that without the harness & relays it will go bad again. Alternatively you can separate the stock fog light circuit to reduce the load. But for around $55 the problem went away permanently on both my '93 & '94 with the Competition Lighting harness.

Back