swapping 5 speed for auto

V8Supercoupe

There it is....95 5Speed.
Does anyone know what would be involved in swapping to an AOD tranny? I have a Lentech clone tranny with little miles on it. My 5 speed needs a rebuild and with the motor I am building I am thinking the auto may be the better candidate for abuse.

Just curious as to what ideas people may have.

1995 5 speeds are too rare and precious to tear up like that. Trade your car for a comparable auto SC.

Im trying to make my 94 into a 5 speed. Seems that you would need to do very little to make it into an Auto.
Just need a New Flexplate, Transmission + shifter, and Driveshaft, TV Cable, take out your clutch pedal.

The issue is going to be with your EEC .. since you have the 94/95 Engine, you will probably need a custom chip since you might not be able to use an early style EEC with your late model engine, and the other EEC's are made for the 4r70w transmission ..

- Dan

Well, what I was thinking is,,,,,,,,, because the AOD isn't computer controlled to begin with, it wouldn't be a big deal as far as the computer goes. (BUT, this is also why I am posing the question.....I don't quite know).

I will not be completely dismantling the 5 speed. Everything will be intact in order to reinstall the 5 speed. I am just thinking of the reliabilty issues that's all. With the auto I have built I figure I could throw almost anything at it. The 5 speed.....eh....I don't know.

The 5spd won't break unless you decide to get serious drag racing it. I would be more concerned about reliability with your AOD. Remember the M5R2 is a truck transmission after all and in case anyone forgot, Ted Lyons runs one behind his 650rwhp supercharged V8 stroker.

With the amount of work required to swap transmissions there is no way I'd tear apart a 95 5spd as nice as yours just to put in an AOD. If you get serious enough that the stock 5spd just doesn't cut it then you need to go after the T-56 swap. Do it once, do it right.

I figured you'd say that Dave. I do plan on racing it. Just need to get the shortblock together now. I have everything else at this point other than the small bolt on stuff.

I was hoping the swap would be easy....'suppose not. I guess I'll just make due and learn how to shift!:D

I planned on doing a 5spd swap on my 94sc auto but I changed my mine because of how hard it is to keep the 5spds from not wheel hoping. The m5r2's might be strong but if you beat on it they will grind in no time and wheel hop horribly. So that is why I am doing a auto even tho it won't be as fun as the 5spd. For a 5spd swap in a 94 you will need the following. Transmission itself, driveshaft, shifter, shifter plate, hydrolic lines, master cylinder, clutch pressure plate, pedals might have to trim the brake pedal a bit, I used my automatic flexplate and it was fine. You will also need to rewire you tranny wiring harness. If you plan on using an AOD lentech instead of your aode you will need a tv cable from an aod equipped sc and a wiring harness that you will need to rewire. With the lentech you could use your stock 94sc shifter assembly it mounts up just like the aod and it already has aod on a switch so it will look much better. Let me know if you need any other help since i put an AOD in my 94sc

Dan

Back