What Vaccum Leak Would Cause this?

Tim Groth

SCCoA Member
Alright been around for a while so I'm not stupid when it comes to the wonderful vaccum leaks with these cars. Anyways, just finished my engine work in preps for Carlisle which included: motor mounts, new power steering lines, MPII & intake, plugs, wires, oh and roller rockers.

Anyways upon first firing of the motor it wanted to stall itself out. I noticed my boost gauge was showing 10 Vac. which I knew is BAD :eek: ...so on to redoing my joints and such. Did the Carb cleaner test, no luck. So I fire it again and figure perhaps running it a while to heat up the motor will help seal it up (has worked before) well sure enough...after 3 miles of driving, idle was at 1k and vac at 19. I'm happy come back tell my brother n law (my master mech) she runs like a raped ape and purrrrrsssss like a kitty. :D

Next thing I know the damn thing stumbles a little, lets out a moan from the bypass on the back of the blower and then cuts out. :cool: At this point we both laugh cus I just bragged about her 2 mins before.

Anyways...its vaccum related for sure, but what is most prone to do what I state above.

Thanks for any starts or help.

-Tim

Alright to tide me over until I find it, I played with my IAC so now idle is at 1k instead of 800/850 where I like it.

Boost guage at idle still shows some wheres around 17...usually when I have it sealed up nicely it won't move from the 19-20 area, so I guess the leak is still around.

Any tips welcome.

-Tim

Tim my brother! Getting ready for carlisle I see...anyways, did u try using propane to search for the leak? I'd try seeing if there are any leaksin the lower intake manifold seals (since you already checked the supercharger stuff).

gobs of copper RTV, a breaker bar (to tighten bolts) and some propane solved alllllllllllllll my IC leak problems :rolleyes:

Back