Building my own Cold Air Intake

Spider

ok im in the process of building my own Cold Air Intake Pipe.

i will post pictures and show you all everything i used and what i needed to do. so far its turning out very well :rolleyes:

parts are from Home Depot and so far im at $12.00 and i need 1 more peice :)

im going to get a small curved peice to curve out so theres room for the long airfilter, after i cut little of the car to get a good fit. so i can service the airfilter from underneath the hood when needed.

PICT5780.jpg

PICT5779.jpg

PICT5777.jpg

PICT5776.jpg

PICT5769.jpg

PICT5768.jpg

Last edited:
The filter is never going to work from where it's at. :eek: :p ;) :D

Looks good though. Are you worried about the bend before the maf? :eek:

its not going to be a hard bend, ive seen worse in other cars. the part thats on the MAF is soft Rubber so i have room to play and bend it to where i need it to be, it will work just wait :) i shoudl be done within a day or 2 just gotta go to Home Depot Again. and another thing, i think a little bend even if it did interfear with airflow its better than sucknig it hot air and loosing horsepower. the temp under my hood gets so hot im thinking im loosing about 75HP. the airbox gets so hot its almost to hot to touch.

Last edited:
yeah seems like

more people are doing the DIY cold air.

i always wanted that carbon dioxidde ball thingy that attaches into the air inlet and cools the air to -40. thats some serious cold air. same with a carbon dioxide spray into the intercooler. summertime equals ~~~~e for thrttle response

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=84021

here another guy did what you did over at the tccoa

not sure how he got his filter that angle, i need to point my outward toward the nose on the car because its so long and all the available space is more toward the nose.

seriously i should

aski him for a better shot of how exactly he got it that angle. i was also working on a DIY intercooler sprayer for under $20. with that garden or flower mister nosel, to atomise it and some silicon tubing. zip ties, and on a hot day, you can cool off your rise. im thinking of mocking a cryO2 later this year.

i was going to do the fan with the intercooler, but maybe ill do this, or maybe ill do a pusher fan with a spray on the back

Looks good! Here is what I fabricated to do away with the bend before the MAF. Cost me about $25 and a couple hours.

It consists of a short section of 3"id PVC pipe epoxied thru a 1/4" thick piece of plexiglass, mandrel 3" exhaust pipe cut and welded, sections of siliconized 3" & 3 1/2" hose, and a 9"K&N filter.

Bryan

Attachments

• Aut_6805.jpg
    Aut_6805.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 161
  • Aut_6806.jpg
    Aut_6806.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 154
smooth

i like the loos. nd for $25? man i know what i want to do this weekend. besides changing my plug wires and spark plugs. damn i really envy those ricers right about know. so easy to do the plugs. so so easy.

tbirdaj said:
sorry to get off topic guys but spider do you ever get down south towards the kent area?

i dont go out that way much, i normaly go north when i travel out. been to IKEA once but wont ever go there again because the drive is so far :(
isnt there a race track out that way ?

Pacific Raceways formerly Seattle international raceways (SIR) I actually live 7 minutes away driving but I would like to get together with S.C. owners here in the state. I have followed the sccow for years now but those guys never get together and their board is usually dead.

i might be selling my SC soon because of gas prices since this is my only car atm. i need something easier to work on. since me and my girlfriend are both relying on this car everyday.
ill hit you up if i go out that way and i still have my bird.
maybe race the birds on the strip :p

Good going, Spider. Don't forget about PVc line!
I prefer polished look under the hood, but we are all different, right?)))
Have a nice week end
Payton

about the intercooler sprayer mentioned above... i was thinking about doing something similiar, only with a washer fluid bottle, a pump, and some nozzles from a car that has them on the hood.

I have a pump and a bottle, but its from a GTP so its an awkward shape and wont fit anywhere. Im thinking about checking the junkyard for another ford bottle.

Sadly, that must come AFTER i replace the starter, plugs, and wires.

-Nick

Done

ok i just finished my CAI and it turned out better than i thought it would. i got more blower noise and got more horse power, still need to test it on a hot day to see if i still got my Horse power while the under hood temps are high. haven't taken it on the freeway yet since all the rain makes my car slide around so I'm gonna wait till its dry out.

all the parts cost me $16.00
Tools i used:
reciprocating saw
Dremel
Flathead screwdiver
Disc Grinder

heres the finished CAI :cool:

PICT5817.jpg

PICT5820.jpg

PICT5819.jpg

PICT5826.jpg

PICT5824.jpg

Last edited:
Spider I made my own CAI and it is identical to yours at first. The problem you will have will be in that 90 rubber elbow right after the MAF. You see on mine it worked great for a few weeks until the heat had time to work on that rubber 90. Then it started getting soft and when i would go under boost it would pull the thing almost completly shut. I could feel the car like sputtering under WOT. Kinda like I would get WOT and feel like a 80mph head wind then no wind and then wind again. I then removed the 90 and went with the cone filter attached to my MAF and a stright design. That seemed to cure the problem except now I need to build an air box to get the filter outta the engine bay heat. I also have gotten a peice of 3 inch pipe to get chromed to replace my PVC pipe. Anyway great idea and will perform as well as any other $200.00 rig out there.

thanks for the heads-up on the rubber getting soft, ill be sure to keep my eye on it. if it starts getting soft i will probably change it to a hard plastic, add another connector peice and a rubber ring sleeve to connect it to the MAF. or something like that :D mybee ill just cut a hole in the hood above the pipe to keep it cool :)

hard tube might work but it will need to be extended to give it more room since the angled tube doesn't stick out far enough, and i was worried about the hard tube fitting over the MAF outlet. i should have tested that before i put it all together but i didn't think about it. i will update this post if i need to make any changes

Back