Probable Balancer Problem?

Don Hardy

Good Morning all,
Ive been a member of this great website since before Christmas when I was looking to buy my first Tbird SC and it really helped me in knowing what to look for! Ive now got a 1990 35th Anny car and is believed to be one of only 3 in this country.
The car has been really fine until the other day when on hard acceleration it just lost all power but didnt cut out at all. It seems to run fine on 'normal' driving but doesnt like anything too hard! I have noticed that I have no head on the bolt holding the harmonic balancer on so I am assuming that this may well be a balancer on its way out.Could the balancer cause this sort of problem? I am assuming that maybe the crank positioning sensor couldnt get a correct reading and thats what caused it to die.
I have been quoted £440 UK (approx $650 US) for a new balancer from a UK based US parts supplier but thought that was a bit excessive!
Can anyone recommend a supplier that would ship a balancer to me here in the UK? I would probably replace it with a BHJ item if I can get one shipped here.
Many thanks,
Don Hardy
London England.

Good Morning Don and Welcome!!
You're diagnosis is right on the money (and not having a bolt head probably helped:confused: ). It could be doing the McKinney with the sensor, a "little inappropriate touching" or it could be actually turning a little on the crank from all our low end torque and getting an incorrect sensor reading. Either way, sooner is better for replacing it.

The best replacement is a BHJ balancer. The stock ones have an aluminum snout which distorts when removing and will eventually fail. The BHJ is all steel and can be reused (for life). There are at least 2 maybe 3 places that carry them (that I know of) (all of them advertise here on SCCOA).

Super Coupe Performance - George is GREAT
SpinningWheels-SC - Victor/Diane are GREAT
Blue Tongue Motorsports(maybe) - Dont know whos great here (yet:rolleyes: ).

When you adjust the sensor, use a match cover (or whatever) on BOTH sides (tightening it will cause it to shift alittle) and rotate the crank to double check your clearances.

Congratulations on being one of 3 in-country. I hope you enjoy your SC as much as I have mine (on my second). Welcome again!!

Hello Fred,
thank you for your reply and for your kind words.
I have sent an e-mail to Super Coupe Performance enquiring on the possibility of sending a BHJ item over and am awaiting their reply. Im hoping to get the car fixed as soon as possible as Im missing driving it!
Thank you once again,
Don Hardy

Don, I agree with Fred in terms of the BHJ being the best replacement for the balancer if you plan to keep your car for a long time. ONe thing I would suggest, and that is worth a try seeing that whatever route you take will be a good amount of $ is to simply replace the bolt. Im not clear from your post if the bolt is still in the crank or not...but if it is, try extracting it and your balancer might still be salvagable. Its worth atry. good luck!

Hi,
thank you again for your advice. The bolt is still in the crank but it has no head attached to it! I do plan on keeping the car for a while so I will have to suffer the expense and buy the best parts. Im due to visit some friends in Alabama in September and normally have all my car parts sent there and bring them back via suitcase, saves an absolute fortune on postage! Its just a shame that I want to get this problem sorted asap as I wont feel comfortable driving the car until it is fixed.
Thank you once again,
Don

Back