Changing gear ratios M5R2

fturner

Since we seem to have ALOT of moaners on here about people not doing searches, I've spent 2 WEEKS! trying to find an answer. Half of these posts where telling people to do a search :cool: ............ anyways.

Since the 94/95 m5r2 have a better gear ratio if your running higher ratios in the rear AND since these years of trannies are very rare, is it possible to buy new 1st, 2nd and 3rd 94/95 gears and swap them into the older m5r2?

Just wondering if anyone has done this and is it worth it cost wise?

Frit

I've rebuilt several early model 5 spds but not the later one. There are gears on the counter shaft as well and I don't know if they are the same on both versions or not. I've thought about that myself but I think it would be too expensive. Try calling Southern Gear about the gears, 770-435-1461. They may have them.

You'd have to change the entire gear cluster and the counter shaft. Way not worth it unless you have a cheap donor. I do not know if you can buy the parts from Ford but I very highly doubt it being that they don't even sell blocker rings any more. Far as I know Ford doesn't carry ANY parts for this transmission that are not interchangeable with parts for the truck version. Better idea? Leave the 2.73's in there and work on creating more power. :D That advice comes from someone who's "been there" and "done that". A couple times.

After I get my new motor running the very next step for me will be 4.11 gears and a T-56. :D

Since the 5 spd is going into my AOD car it'll have the 3.27's, for now anyways. I did keep the 2.73 pumpkin from the donor car and if I don't like the 3.27s I'll get it rebuilt and install it.

It'll be hard for me to tell the difference as I've never driven an SC with a 5 spd in it :rolleyes: BUT I have driven standards so thats not an issue LOL!

Frit

Trans

Would swapping a later year 94'/95' trans in an 89' Super Coupe be a bolt in? Would it work well with 3.27 gears?

Thats the reason I'm asking about changing the gears in the older M5R2. It looks like the 94/95 have really nice ratios for 1st, 2nd and 3rd that work very well with the 3.27 rear end.

I may take my spare rear end and have it rebuilt with 3.05's put in if I don't like the 3.27.

Frit

Mike Puckett said:
I've rebuilt several early model 5 spds but not the later one. There are gears on the counter shaft as well and I don't know if they are the same on both versions or not. I've thought about that myself but I think it would be too expensive. Try calling Southern Gear about the gears, 770-435-1461. They may have them.

Mike, actually you have rebuilt atleast one late model 5spd, mine...:D

For the price and availablity of parts for the SC 5spds IMO the best move is the T56 swap for a car that is going to be more then just a show/daily driver with stock or near stock power. While the M5R2 will take just about all the abuse one could throw at it, sooner or later the cost or rebuilting one will out weight it.

If I still had my 94, I would have looked into the T56 swap.

Problem is, I don't have the know how or the tools etc to fabricate everything I need to do the conversion to a T56. The other problem is, there is no one with a 1000 kilometers (exageration :rolleyes: ) that can do the fab for me or to give me a hand if I get stuck.

I'm doomed if I ever get stuck with a job requiring more than 1 person and I can't figure my way out of it LOLOL!

So, its the M5R2 for this guy.

Frit

Back