can water-air intercooler help us?

Merlon

so ive seen many ricers with the huge front mounted intercooler using this smokey spray stuff sometime. its carbon dioxide mister. cools the ~~~~ out of those air-air intercoolers making summertime a not so crappy time to drive.

my question is about using water instead of the $300 cryO2 mister?

i can get the stuff from homedepot for under $20, and use my windshield washer for the time bieng, on our cars the wipers go on too, but i took them off. i dont need them for at least another 4 months.

i had a mister laying around from the 90s, the pump ones, that were popular 6 years ago. i took that spray nossle off and attached it to the washer pump, cleaned and filled with water, and mounted it to spray the intercooler without hitting any belts.

i usually have a problem with misfire, even on a short trip around the block,but today i went my normal paths, twice over and no sign of a misfire, when i popped my hood it was warm under there, but suprisingly the intercooler and SC were not. usually they could fry eggs.

so is it the water or me driving at 8am? i like this thing cost me nothing but then again i dont want to spray water on our intercooler if it will screw it up somehow.

Thats not an liquid to air IC...However if you can getthe proper amount onIC face it will help greatly. Just want to avoid puddling..Especially at the track..Alcohol works even better

yeah like water meth

i was thining of adding it to the intercooler return line.

anyways about the cats im thinking this is my prblem with the misfire .when the engine warms up the cats do too, but the one near the drivers side rattles a little. maybe i should punch it. keep it on the DL, its not that leagal here in cali.

Merlon,

EIther i am confused or you are. WHat you are talking about is spraying water or alcohol on teh IC face correct?

Also Just get some new high flow cats installed..Not that expensive and willspare you from the smog naziz

yeah

i should really change those cats. i have money now since i was saving to fix whatever problem was casuing my misfire. but a $6 bottle of seafoam took care of it. it was dirtyinjectors. i guess somewhere along the line my fuel tank was contaminated, then i bought a new fuel filter, and some people here said seafoam it. it took three days and half a tank but no more misfires, and it saved me freom a pro doing it for $80.

just glad it wasnt the damn HG> or plugs.

oh abnd both.
for now spraying it on the front of the face, then later get the snow injection kit. when i feel like setting it up, and spending $300 or more. sorry to be so random.

DIC Sprayer

DamonSlowpokeBaumann said:
WHat you are talking about is spraying water or alcohol on teh IC face correct?
Something like this:

SprayBar0005SCCoA.jpg

I made this one out of 1/2" hard copper. It has 21 or 23 holes for the liquid CO2 to spray on the front of the DIC. I'm using a 10", 900 cfm fan to suck the CO2 through the DIC.

I'm building another one, using 3/8" hard copper. You'll have to go to a Air Con. supply house to get 3/8" hard copper & fittings.

I got my CO2 bottle, filled, with new hydrostat test, at a fire extinguisher place, for $30. It's the same CO2 bottle that you'll find under any fast food, drink dispenser. Same fittings as a nitrous bottle. I initially used -4 braided line, but I think this time I'll use -6 line.

The full bottle weighs 44 lbs. I'm hoping that the extra cooling will make up for the .05 sec. weight penalty.

68COUGAR

You can run CO2 however plain water will help as will alcohol. How much is it to refill CO2 bottle and how long does it last?

Unless the water atomizes and evaporates all the way, you will succeed in upsetting racers on your next visit to the track when you water down the starting line.

I'm sure water or alcohol mist will work, but you definitely need to be careful that you do not spray too much....something to think about.:)

EXACTLY!..Not sure if the alcoho lwould eventually eat up on the fins though..But the laws of pysics say its a great idea!

oops i thought this was about water to air ic,s i love mine home made and 50 deg f inlet temps when using iced water

please go on

manny. i would like pictures and the story on where and how you got this going. ice water?

ill do a pictoral soon i have it in a storage bin and my friends house .

i had to do some testing of parts so itsa a unfair advantage to run it when testing parts out.
its primative home made water can and ic unit but my air temps are cold as hell i have one for inverted setup and a stock ic i converted to water to air .

i inclosed the ic and pump iced water thru the ic from front to back like the air usually flows really just two blockoff plates and two hoses one in front one in back and a motorcycle rad and fan for everyday use .

Back