Every time I hit the brakes the ABS and brake light flashes then goes off. Why?

TheDog

Anybody knows why this happens? Any time I hit the breaks the ABS light and the brake light will come on just for a second then go out. Neither light stays on. Is that normal? Thanks!

It means....

It mean the accumulator ball on the ABS unit is bad.....Fix it soon as every time you hit the brakes, it runs the pump and switches the Firm ride.

The part is a ball looking thing on the back firewall right near the ABS (brake) master cylinder. You can get the replacement from Ford or Prior remanufactuing (on LINK section). I suggest the Ford part personally.

Anyway, e-mail me for directions to do the procedure.

Don

hey Don, the only time the Firm ride light comes on is if I stomp on the brakes hard. What's the accumulator ball and what's it purpose? Does my ABS still work though?

If it is just your ABS light and Brake light, it prolly means you are low on brake fluid. Atleast that's what mine was when it did that..

Only the brake light lights when your low on fluid. If you hear your abs pump going when you see those lights, its most likely your accumulator thingy. It's a fast swap, you just need a wrench for the ict sensor, allan wrenches and nimble fingers.

A quick caution on swapping the accumulator

ABS system pressure is 2600PSI when fully charged. Pump the brake pedal about 20 times with the KEY OFF to release the pressure. When the brake pedal is rock hard, it is safe to remove the accumulator. DO NOT REMOVE THE ACCUMULATOR WITHOUT RELEASING THE SYSTEM PRESSURE!!!:eek:

Note... I'll agree, press the pedal a bunch of times. But if the accumulator is shot, it's unlikely there is any system pressure with the motor off since a bad accumulator simply can't store any pressure.

Expect to get a splash of brake fluid from the accumulator when you remove it. The factory one has a place for a hex drive to remove it. The new one won't have any such fitting and really only needs to be put on as tight as you can get it with your bare hand. Any tighter isn't necessary.

ya when i step on the brake I hear a slight groan. nothing major. it lasts for a second or 2 then goes away. Is this what u may be talking about?

Thats the pump...

That's the pump biulding up pressure again. YOU WILL RUIN YOUR PUMP IF YOU DO NOT REPLACE THE ACCUMULATOR !!!!!!!

I don't suggest running the brake system for too long without fixing it first. Brakes are IMPORTANT!!!!

Don

check this tutorial i made......it will help since pics are worth a million bajillion words

xThunderbirdSCx said:
(EDIT: PLEASE MOVE TO TECHNICAL FORUM!)

Hard Brakes? One of the most common problems of an SC(of the many) would be the fatigue of the accumulator ball in our ABS systems. They are only good for about 10 years, so any longer than that is just bought time, and before you know it, your brakes may fail, sending you into a guard rail to your impending doom!!! (or at least a wrecked SC).

To save yourself from this unfortunate event, youll have to change your accumulator. Prior Reman sells them for $99.95 plus shipping. I had mine overnighted and it ended up being 135 bucks.

"But Bill, I dont even know how to do that!" You say?
"I dont have the right tools..." May be your response.

If youre like me, your entire tool collection consists of a couple sharp rocks, a long stick and a big rock for hitting stuff with. You also suck at absolutely anything car-related, and it takes you 10 hours just to install some U/D pulleys :rolleyes: . Or at least you have just the very basic, non-mechanic home tools, and some minor mechanic skill. Well have no fear, this tutorial makes removing and replacing the accumulator ball quick and easy!

Step 1:
02030613066qh.jpg

Wait for Mr. Delivery man to come and bring you your NEW ACCUMULATOR! YAY! Now its time to do this!

Step 2:
With the key and engine off, pump the brake pedal 40 times, or more until it is rock hard and wont go anymore.

Step 3:
02030612572oj.jpg

Open the hood and remove the windsheild wipers. This takes some practice, but after you slide out the little clips on the base of each, you can use pliers like a hammer and pry them up and out. Now, find the drivers side plastic cowling. There are 6 screws that need removing (including the one in FRONT of the cownling, and the one in the fender), remove all of the screws and slide the rubber weather stripping off. Find the windsheild washer line going into the cowling, disconnect it from the cowling, and set the cowling aside.

Step 4:
02030612589df.jpg

Now it's time to locate the little sucker causing all the problems. It looks like a big ball, with a sticker on top. Spray on...no wait...DOUSE the sucker in some penetrating liquid or WD-40(what i used)

Step 5:
02030612593dh.jpg

02030613006yf.jpg

02030613010tw.jpg

02030613024st.jpg

02030613035ub.jpg

02030613045jq.jpg

02030613056dz.jpg

02030613071ke.jpg

Some people have different opinions about how to remove this, but i was short on tools (and time) and so i pulled a McGuiver and improvised.
Find a set of allen keys like the ones shown. Remove the screw on the side and remove the candy cane shaped 8mm allen wrench from it. Now find a socket and wrench that will fit the top of the candy cane part without slipping. Put the 8mm allen key into the top of the accumulator, and then the wrench on top of that. Now give er hell! Shell finally come loose with a little blow off valve sound. Remove the old accumulator and install your brand new one. I hand tightened mine(im strong, about 45Lbs worth) Now fill up your brake fluid if you need to, and start er up. LOOK AT THAT, good as new!

Back