PDA

View Full Version : Should I quit?

tim
05-29-2006, 07:36 AM
Well my car seems to sit more than it runs. It looks like summer will be over before I wll get it running right again. I guess I am tired of not having a car I can drive and enjoy. So the big question is should I part it out and cut my losses? Its worth more in parts than as a car. I think the whole thing is its just not fun anymore.:confused:

tim
05-29-2006, 08:39 AM
I just looked on one of the vendors web sites. If i get half of what I paid for the stuff I have on this car it adds up to thousands!:eek:

David Neibert
05-29-2006, 09:37 AM
Nope....fix it and drive it. You know that you will be sorry if you sell it or part it out.

David

PS: I hate to say I told you so, but remember me saying stop at 13s and you will enjoy your car much more.

seawalkersee
05-29-2006, 11:10 AM
I was at a car show this weekend. I was thinking about sellin my two cars and buyin a new mustang (they finally have one I can fit into). Then I saw a 70 Fairlane. All the mustangs were cool as well as all of the run of the mill GM stuff. But the ONE car that was different (even the Javalins that were there were sick) was the Torino body car. It is really cool to be different. The problem is that the payoff is going to be years down the line.

Chris

tim
05-29-2006, 01:39 PM
Dave I am just so discouraged. I know it will be really fast when I get it done but I am getting a lot of crap from the wife about that junk in the garage that never runs. And she also likes like to throw in Where are all the guys that you said own these things that would help you out if you couldnt get it right? Its been a real barrel of laughs.:mad: When I told her it may be sitting all summer she laughed and said what a waste of money. We could have had, you insert list.:eek: It is to the point where its really hard for me to keep my head up.

Super XR7
05-29-2006, 04:40 PM
Guys, you both need to come to the 06 Shoot out and get rejuvenated! IMHO, it would be hard to replace these cars with something else without giving up something. Nimble, roomy, ride quality, quick, unique (not one on every corner like the Mustang).

Mike

tim
05-29-2006, 05:01 PM
Great idea, to bad I cant drive the one I have over $17000 worth of mods in.:mad:

Super XR7
05-29-2006, 05:10 PM
Great idea, to bad I cant drive the one I have over $17000 worth of mods in.:mad:

$17,000?, I am singing to the choir. You are already commited! What do you have left to do? If I was to tally up what I in this car, my wife would kill me! So it never gets brought up, there are somethings we just don't talk about.

Mike

tim
05-29-2006, 05:57 PM
$17000 is probably low I just quit counting. Committed? I couldnt be more so. It just runs like crap since we put it back together. I put an electric water pump on it and wired in the relays and switch on the dash along with a nice switch for the intercooler fan and I must have done something wrong cause they dont work. Maybe I need to walk away from it for a while. I dont think I have the lifters adjusted rught either. This should easy be a mid 12 second car now, but it sits and I get frustrated cause I want to race it.

XR7 Dave
05-29-2006, 09:25 PM
$17000 is probably low I just quit counting. Committed? I couldnt be more so. It just runs like crap since we put it back together. I put an electric water pump on it and wired in the relays and switch on the dash along with a nice switch for the intercooler fan and I must have done something wrong cause they dont work. Maybe I need to walk away from it for a while. I dont think I have the lifters adjusted rught either. This should easy be a mid 12 second car now, but it sits and I get frustrated cause I want to race it.

I'm just going to keep my mouth shut now. :mad:

Phillio99
05-30-2006, 01:46 AM
When you fire it up and it runs and you take it for a spin youll forget all about this.

Grims95SC
05-30-2006, 02:43 AM
No way, don't give up. And so what if you've spent a lot on your SC? Most here have. Hell once my rebuild is done I'll have hit damn near $22k and still counting. I will never sell this car because I know I would regret it every single day I look into the garage and see it empty. BTW I'm 24 so dropping that kind of $ on a car at my relatively young age is a big thing. So if I can keep it up, you can as well.

Dahoopd
05-30-2006, 09:48 AM

Its always easier said than done but........dont get discouraged now. You have come to far. Its too late to turn back. If you quit before it is running you will never know what your efforts brought. And you will regret not following through on the goal you have set. Sounds like you have the majority done and just some bugs to work out. I get discouraged because there isnt any local help for me to turn to. I dont have all the necessary tools along with skills to do alot that I think I could. Hang in there and walk away from it for a short time.

dustin
05-30-2006, 05:11 PM
dont get rid ov it. im incountering the same problem. but thre car is way to cool to not have

tim
05-30-2006, 06:50 PM
After a early morning talk with my mentor whose name I wil not mention( Dave Dalke) I am going to keep on keeping on .My wife is a pain in the A$$. every time she sees an early bird she says "look a real T Bird". After I get this car running right I am going to strap her in the back seat with a piece of duct tap over her mouth and scare the Shi% out of her till she PI$$es in her pants!!Gravel roads no front sway bar on drag radials> It will be worth tearing up thde tires.:D

JStudrawa
05-30-2006, 10:08 PM
If after $17 THOUSAND dollars, you haven't hit 12.99... I'd hang it up.

100% serious. You've poured thousands upon thousands of dollars into the car, your relationship with your wife is most probably strained (even though you come off as joking), and the car DOES NOT run ?!?!

Come on, man. Where does it end? To me it sounds like you're being stubborn for stubborn's sakes.

Yeah, it would suck to see it go and you'll cringe every time you see another 'Bird, but are you really happy with it and your wife's relationship?

Have you ever considered making a list of what $17k+ would buy you, and make your life fuller and more enjoyable? Unless you just have phat cash, then go for it!

Edit: Trying to show the other side of the coin.

David Neibert
05-30-2006, 11:55 PM
Tim,

Don't listen to Josh....fix the car and enjoy yourself until the next time it breaks. By now your wife should understand that your car is your hobby and not something that's supposed to make economic sense.

David

JStudrawa
05-30-2006, 11:57 PM
Tim,

Don't listen to Josh....fix the car and enjoy yourself until the next time it breaks. By now your wife should understand that your car is your hobby and not something that's supposed to make economic sense.

David

Hey, I tried :) My next step was to work on him to buy a Cougar and join the resistance!

Honestly, those are factors to take into consideration though. Realize it's a hobby and don't bury yourself in cash and stress.

tim
05-31-2006, 07:50 AM
If you have not really built one of these cars you cant believe how fast you can spend money on them. My car turned 13.546 best last year. My guess this year will be a low 12. All I can say is its my car. Dave Neibert warned me about the transision from a 13 second car to a 12 second car. I listened I believed him and went foward anyway. I like my car cause I did it my way. Its differant. If you want to see how differant come to the shootout. As far as the wife is concerned, its my hobby. I only spent about $2500 on it so far this year. SO far!! Its been a change over a little at a time to a pretty much drag car from a street car. HEY DAVE, tell him how much you have in your 6cylinder car. $1700 is chump change when you want to go fast.

mywhite89
06-01-2006, 02:46 PM
$17,000 is not bad at all for a car that runs 12's. I paid $1,000 for my sc. I don't have a car payment technically because I paid cash for it. But, I just pretend that I still owe about $20,000 on it before I can drive it. Thats enough to keep me motivated and continue progress.

I bought my sc about 220 miles away from my house just over a year ago. About 180 miles away from my house on the way home, the bird started blowing out enough white smoke to kill a small child. I don't even know if I like my car yet, I barely had time to play a little bit before mine died.
When this happened, in all honesty I was very very close to leaving it on the side of the road and taking my losses.
At least yours is running, mine wont run for at least another year or 2.

mywhite89
06-01-2006, 02:46 PM
$17,000 is not bad at all for a car that runs 12's. I paid $1,000 for my sc. I don't have a car payment technically because I paid cash for it. But, I just pretend that I still owe about $20,000 on it before I can drive it. Thats enough to keep me motivated and continue progress.

I bought my sc about 220 miles away from my house just over a year ago. About 180 miles away from my house on the way home, the bird started blowing out enough white smoke to kill a small child. I don't even know if I like my car yet, I barely had time to play a little bit before mine died.
When this happened, in all honesty I was very very close to leaving it on the side of the road and taking my losses.
At least yours is running, mine wont run for at least another year or 2.

Ddubb
06-02-2006, 04:15 AM
Thats part of a hobby .. I wouldnt want to count all of the money I havent spent on cars over the last 10 years.
You need to have a balance between having fun and the rest of your life. Maybe your wife is jealous of the car. Do you spend that much on her ?
I know alot of people who like to spend money - seriously, they like going out and buying stuff that they want to use but dont ever touch. A guy with a garage full of tools, and theyre all brand new, never worked on anything ( until I borrow them ) .. whats the use of having all of this stuff if you arent going to put it to use ??

I just bought my SC last year, well, it wasnt running when I bought it, I drove it down the street with a huge rod knock and tore it completely apart .. so far, with the purchase of a 94 SC, engine work, rebuild parts, and a bunch of other parts .. I have about $4000 into this vehicle, and im expecting to spend about another $1000 before its even running. And thats for a Stock vehicle, Im not even planning on any performance modifications until I actually get it running.

So we've all got thousands of dollars into these cars, as a hobby .. racing is expensive. I wouldnt give up on it, just know your limit .. get it to where you want it to be, and leave it at that.

- Dan

Randy N Connie
06-03-2006, 10:54 AM
Tim I am not even able to set up in a chair or even walk over 50'
feet most of the days in a month.I have to be laying down in
a bed most of the time. I have no help and havent given up.

I have a blown head gasket, and have to much pain to even work
on my car. The head gasket started blowing out on the dyno at the
2005 OK Shootout. I have been able to setup in a chair for around
14 days since last year, September.

So tim things can get worst before they get better. Dalke thinks
its no big deal that my car is down.But he has never had to be
in a wheel chair or chutchs most every day of his life to get around.

I havent seen you post what problems you have ,so others may be
able to help you. I would like to help you but I am not able to drive
or even ride in a car the distance you live from me. I know most
all you would need to get it running but, tuning, or wireing your car.

Look around and buy a Ford Lighting,if you want to drive a
superchaged Ford vehicle. These SC Thunderbirds have to be
the most unrealiable car Ford has ever built. I realy like my SC,
but its still the biggest peice of Ford ~~~~~ I have ever owned.

Start a new thread and explain what your car is doing when running.

Thanks Randy

turbospeed
06-03-2006, 02:53 PM
to this point i have spent to the tune of 5,000 dollars for a car that i have driven 4-5 hours in the last 2 years spending most of its time downand should be good for 14's when everything is said and done.

sometimes i really really hate the car , rigth now after they fix it again , its going to need , a SCT chip and a tune , still need to source a 94/95 supercharger , finish some suspension stuff , bracing , plates from last year , mufflers , a paint job and tires.

so i need to spend another 2k , and i dont hink ill go faster than lo 14's.

sometimes i think i should part it out get a LT1 or LS1 F-body a cam swap and a 75 shot and be faster than most cars around here.

Rick Mink
06-03-2006, 03:32 PM
Dont sell it , you'll regret it. I'm inthe same boat as you are. I've havent driven my car in three years. It only ran 6 months after the last rebuild partly because I cut corners trying to get this thing back together. I got tired of the constant bitching from my wife all of the time. Hell, she used to tell me that she hoped the damn car would fall on me while I was working on it. what a bitch. Most of the mistakes I made back then were from cutting corners, inexperience, or most of all getting interupted when working on the car. Put the tools down, its time to pay attention to me.always in the middle of something and I'd be forced to stop. my favorite was "how long is this gonna take?" how the hell should I know? I've never done it before and I'm learning as I go. I have almost all of my reciepts that I never quite wanted to add up, but if I had to guess I'd be in the 12k ball park. I finally wised up. I got divorsed, bought myself a Morana Stroker hit, some SCU heads, CMRE cam, FMIC, and a few other goodies. I went through a few girlfriends until I found one that was ok with me working on the car. Hell, she helped me take it apart, and has been helping me for the last few weeks getting back together. I'm hours away from starting it up for the first time. It'll all be worth it in the end.
dont give up, I wont, and I hope you wont either. Just about eveything that could have gone wrong has, and I think I even invented a few new problems. But I wont give up.

Rick

tim
06-03-2006, 06:37 PM
Randy I think when I rebuilt the motor I should have changed the lifters. They had a lot of miles on them and I was reving the motor to 6000 rpms. last year. Live and learn. Well as long as I am going to change the lifters I may as well go with more cam. My wife said to me today. As long as it makes you happy do what you want to do with it. She is looking foward to going to the shoot out with me. I really like my car. Its my favorite color red. And its in nice shape. When all is said and done I want a 11 second car I can drive on the street. The state of Illinois has given me a special pass for emissions. Its a race car so I dont even have to go and test. Now I can go nuts on cam and anything else and still drive it on the street. I am talking to a couple of sources for sponsorship this year before the shoot out. If they go thru then I will be able to do a lot more than I first set out to do. I still need a cheap trailer I can pull behind my Mack. I have made so many friends here I really cant give it up. So I have meet and others I have not yet. I feel Like I have a huge extended family.