PBR mustang brake calipers

x182dan

what needs to be done to them so they work? I have a set sitting in my basement and just wondering what needs to be done to make them work

Dan

Depends on what year SC you wanna put them on. The '92 (IIRC) and earlier T-Birds need a complete front spindle swap and 13" discs. The '93+ need 13" rotors and a little notch ground off the brake line fittings.

You can get the proper rotors from KVR or Discbrakesrus.com.

fast Ed said:
Take a look at "KVR 10.8" brake caliper install" here:

http://www.tccoa.com/articles/brakes/index.html#

cheers
Ed N.

This is a fairly popular mod over there; so do a searc over there... That's where I got 90% of the info when I did it. Now there was some misinformation about using opposite side brake lines that would negate the need to shave off the excess material. Well I tied that and it didn't work... You still have to grind down that area...

In this thread , I didn't really get an opinion on if I should remove the whole fin, but I believe I did remove most of it.
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64165&highlight=pbr

You also need to get the correct banjo bolts from Dan Newman ford, or a local dealer.

Dan - if they are the regular PBR's off the circa 2000 Mustang GT (versus the Cobra ones), then you can use your existing 10.8" stock rotors. However, you will need caliper frames and obviously pads to match the PBR calipers. Other than that the existing bolt holes in the spindles ('94 SC) will match, but you will also need to grind off about 1/8" of the passenger side existing banjo block to fit the PBR's OR you can do what I did and, using a dremel grind a bit off the ledge on the back of the caliper itself. I recall the article on the TCCOA site explains it pretty good. Hopefully you have the PBR banjo bolts with your calipers, because the stock SC ones won't fit. Earlier PBR's like mine had a very fine M10x1.0 thread which is very easy to overtorque & strip the alum caliper threads ("bin there done that"), so be very carefull when you tighten them up. I believe 40 ft.lbs is the stock SC torque, so I'd try 25-30 max for the alum. PBR's. Later models came with a courser/stronger M10x1.25 or 1.5 thread.

yes they are plain old GT mustang calipers. So all I need to buy is a Bolt kit for the pbrs other than the grinding?

sizemoremk said:
This is a fairly popular mod over there; so do a searc over there... That's where I got 90% of the info when I did it. Now there was some misinformation about using opposite side brake lines that would negate the need to shave off the excess material. Well I tied that and it didn't work... You still have to grind down that area...

In this thread , I didn't really get an opinion on if I should remove the whole fin, but I believe I did remove most of it.
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64165&highlight=pbr

You also need to get the correct banjo bolts from Dan Newman ford, or a local dealer.

I clicked on the link and read the article it seems pretty straight forward but it mentions nothing about brake lines

It's a great mod. I just did it a couple of weeks ago, & it makes a noticeable difference.

x182dan said:
I clicked on the link and read the article it seems pretty straight forward but it mentions nothing about brake lines

It wasn't on that thread, but there was a few threads over at tccoa.com that mentioned swapping brake lines on the driver/passenger side, but that did not work for me. I was just stating this in case you found the "howto" that said that...

Anyways, good luck!!!

sizemoremk said:
It wasn't on that thread, but there was a few threads over at tccoa.com that mentioned swapping brake lines on the driver/passenger side, but that did not work for me. I was just stating this in case you found the "howto" that said that...

Anyways, good luck!!!

I bought the calipers used and I have the mustang brake lines which do I use the sc ones or the mustang ones?

x182dan said:
I bought the calipers used and I have the mustang brake lines which do I use the sc ones or the mustang ones?

Use the T-Bird lines. I don't think the Mustang ones are long enough.

Dan - assuming you have the caliper brackets as well, then they bolt-up to the stock spindle ('93+) using the old bolts. It's normally just the passenger side where you have to either grind down the stock banjo block or the back of the new caliper. You have to use the stock brake hoses and hopefully your calipers came with their own banjo bolts; because as I mentioned the thread size is different. Most of the PBR's for the Mustangs, like 99-2000 used M10x1.0 which is an unusually fine thread & is very prone to stripping!!
Good luck.

I Just Picked Up A Set Of Powdercoated Calipers From Autozone For $70 W/ Exchange. Lifetime Warranty To Boot! Iam Swapping My Entire Setup (new Upper & Lower C/a's, Bushings, Sway Bar Links, Rotors, Calipers, Drop Springs, Struts, Etc, Etc...). I'll Let You Know How It Turns Out After The Weekend.

Im not trying to steal the thread but, Would I be able to use the front spindles off a 94 n/a t-bird to do this mod?

Yes, Any 93+ Will Hold The Mustang Calipers. My Calipers Came With Hardware, Crush Washers, Sliders, Pins, And Powdercoated Calipers & Brackets.

acb92sc said:
I Just Picked Up A Set Of Powdercoated Calipers From Autozone For $70 W/ Exchange. Lifetime Warranty To Boot! Iam Swapping My Entire Setup (new Upper & Lower C/a's, Bushings, Sway Bar Links, Rotors, Calipers, Drop Springs, Struts, Etc, Etc...). I'll Let You Know How It Turns Out After The Weekend.

$70 for powdercoated stock SC calipers?

actually it would have to be any spindle from a 93 - later TBIRD or MARK VIII with ABS.So it can have the ABS ring on the hub.

autozone has spindles?

darkstar_one said:
autozone has spindles?

NO..... I GOT 2000 MUSTANG PBR CALIPERS, WITH MOUNTING BRACKETS, ALL POWDERCOATED, FOR $70. THEY ARE MADE BY FENCO, WHICH IS A PRETTY RELIABLE AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURER. THEY LOOK AWESOME, ILL POST SOME PICS TOMORROW. WAY BETTER THAN PUTTING USED ONES ON AND STRIPING THE SEALS, POWDERCOATING, REBUILDING, ETC...

Back