Fel-Pro

ThunderDave

I'm going to be using Fel-pro gaskets when I put the intake on my 89. Do I need to use any sealant with these gaskets, other than on the rubber end pieces?

Also, what about the water pump gasket, it is felpro as well.

Thanks!

Last edited:
when i did mine i just sprayed both sides with coper rtv spray can stuff and let it sit for about 25 mins or so.

i used a good glob underneath the rubber end gaskets and let it sit for about 20 Min's to keep it from moving around and then put globs on the corners.

not sure about water pump gasket, havent done that yet.

David,
When I swapped heads a few weeks ago, I didn't use any sealant at all. I haven't noticed any ill effects since then (and I do drive it hard), so I would say that if you do, good, but it's not really required. I did use sealant when I had my '89 and took off the manifold, but didn't now on my '92.

The biggest problem I have with my '92 is belt slip...and there's a lot of it over 4200 rpm...but that's another story altogether...

How's the project coming along?

I think the hardest part is done. Need to install intake and sc stuff, front brackets w/accessories, add fluids (trans., coolant, oil, power steering & brake). Fix windows (right side needs new bushings and left side is off track. A few other small things, but I hope to have it running by the weekend. :D :cool:

Cool... When I did my intake gaskets I followed one someone else posted here. Copper gasket spray on the head side of the gasket liberally. Then less on the intake manifold side and let it sit for 30 minutes do it would loose some of it's tack so the intake manifold didn't pull the gasket out of place.

Not required, but since I didn't have my head surface on my 90 touched by anything other than my hand cleaning it, I figured a little extra goop would do fine.

Note the valve cover gaskets get zero stuff applied. Just use the dry and watch the torque on them. You don't want to squeeze the gasket out.

i didnt thinkit was recommended to use anything except for silicone on the ends between the heads , mine has been fine since i did them a few years ago , i got rid of the gaskets on my valve covers and just used silicone cause they always worked loose they havent came loose since

Back