Drag tested the QA1's

EECDOC

Had the car at the track over the long weekend to test the new QA1's. With the 14" 350 lb./in. springs the ride height on my application was still about 1.5" low. The rear height is a little high due to the poly rear spring isolators and the stock SC rear coils. So the car had a noticable nose down attitude. The car on launch would not pick the front end up. The lack of weight transfer caused the car to blow the slicks off bad and 60' times went down the dumper. This was on Saturday, so that evening I swapped the stock shock/springs back on the car. Ran again Sunday and the car was back to a 1.55 60' time and picking the front end up. I now know that the IRS is very picky on ride height and how it weight transfers. I still think the QA!'s will work. The conventional thinking on spring rate vs. front end weight and spring compression vs. ride height on the MN12 front is out the window. I've talked to Denny and have some ideas as how to correct this issue. Just telling my story and of coarse your mileage and times will vary. ;)
I'll let you know how the next phase works as I get it worked out and tested.

Mike.....:confused:

With the stock springs/shocks the car is near level. The rear is up about an inch from where it was due to the poly isolators. I'm thinking about triming the rear springs a small amount to bring the tail down. I run tall tires, 29" rear and 28" front. With the stock springs/shocks from the ground through the centerline of the wheel to the center of fender lip the height is 29.5" front and 31" rear. With the QA1's the front was 28".

Mike....

Can you adjust the front coil overs up or are they non adjustable. My 88 cougar (fox body ) has coil overs in the front and rear. It took me awhile to get everything to where I wanted it. If they arnt adjustable can you mabe shim the spring?

Damn, I wish the car was down to the 3000 lb. range. Lets see I could loose the AC and all the associated parts. Might as well 86 the heater core while I'm at it. Lets get rid of the factory leather power front seats, and the sterio. Lets see I have John Temples card here somewhere so lets go with the glass doors. Of coarse while I've got the car apart lets strip all the sound deadener and any other crap we don't need out. Hello 9's.

But to answer your question, I think the IRS MN12 chassis likes a near level attitude to properly weight transfer in a drag application. I'd love to get some feed back on other cars drag testing. Like I said this is my story and your mileage may vary.

I've found a coil over spring that's longer, it's a 16" spring and the spring rates start at 350 lb/in. I have not had time to order it yet, but the longer spring is part of my new plan. I know I can make this work on my Red car.

Damon, I had the front coil overs cranked up as high as I thought prudent. The ride height was still low. The longer spring is needed on Our cars as the shock sits inboard unlike a Fox body that has a strut that resides at the wheel hub.

Mike........

EECDOC said:
Damn, I wish the car was down to the 3000 lb. range. Lets see I could loose the AC and all the associated parts. Might as well 86 the heater core while I'm at it. Lets get rid of the factory leather power front seats, and the sterio. Lets see I have John Temples card here somewhere so lets go with the glass doors. Of coarse while I've got the car apart lets strip all the sound deadener and any other crap we don't need out. Hello 9's.

But to answer your question, I think the IRS MN12 chassis likes a near level attitude to properly weight transfer in a drag application. I'd love to get some feed back on other cars drag testing. Like I said this is my story and your mileage may vary.

I've found a coil over spring that's longer, it's a 16" spring and the spring rates start at 350 lb/in. I have not had time to order it yet, but the longer spring is part of my new plan. I know I can make this work on my Red car.

Damon, I had the front coil overs cranked up as high as I thought prudent. The ride height was still low. The longer spring is needed on Our cars as the shock sits inboard unlike a Fox body that has a strut that resides at the wheel hub.

Mike........
Well, I will be going to the track in less than 2 weeks, so, I will let you know how things turn out.
I'm putting on the 325 lb springs, but my front tire is 25.5 inches tall, and I'm pretty close to the 3000 mark.

Of course, I'm not making anywhere near the power your making(yet).

Also, do you have a link on those 16" springs?

Nick

Good luck and keep us informed! I wasnt sure if youde be able to run a spacer or need new springs all together.

got my qa1's this evening (ups delevering after 7pm??) but anyway ive got the 325-14 springs and when i get the car running again, ill update you all on how it goes.

VicRattlehead said:
got my qa1's this evening (ups delevering after 7pm??) but anyway ive got the 325-14 springs and when i get the car running again, ill update you all on how it goes.
So we should expect results in 2008? :p

95badbird said:
I got my 14-325's today.

I might put em on tonight.:cool:
Well, I got my springs on, and took it for a short drive today.
I like it.
Its a whole different car now.
I'll be hitting the track next Sunday.
So we'll see how she does at the track.

95badbird said:
Well, I got my springs on, and took it for a short drive today.
I like it.
Its a whole different car now.
I'll be hitting the track next Sunday.
So we'll see how she does at the track.
Well besides the VERY crappy air we had(density altitude=2000+feet, as the night went on)the car did well.
My 60's were right on par.
I actually bettered my time barely by .05.
My best run was 14.13 @96.00 w/ a 2.000 60'.
I've hit 1.980 60's before, but I don't think I did cause of the weather.
With my times corrected, I should have been around a 13.8xx.
But, that would be with good weather.

All in all, when the car loses a little more weight, I think these shocks are going to be perfect.

BTW, the car with no one in it, weighed 3,080 lbs.

95badbird said:
Well besides the VERY crappy air we had(density altitude=2000+feet, as the night went on)the car did well.
My 60's were right on par.
I actually bettered my time barely by .05.
My best run was 14.13 @96.00 w/ a 2.000 60'.
I've hit 1.980 60's before, but I don't think I did cause of the weather.
With my times corrected, I should have been around a 13.8xx.
But, that would be with good weather.

All in all, when the car loses a little more weight, I think these shocks are going to be perfect.

BTW, the car with no one in it, weighed 3,080 lbs.

Damn Man! Mine wieghs 4100 with me in it. What did you remove. Congrats on the 60'

I don't even know where to begin to list what all I have removed.
Lets just say, I have another 200-300 to lose.:cool:

its not hard to remove weight from these cars, you just got to deal without having some comforts like ac, heat, power steering etc.

Back