Can our rims be polished?

leeklimala

Our rims are aluminum right? So I could, in theory, strip them of their paint and clearcoats and polish and buff them to a high luster? The paint is chipping on my rims and showing that ugly yellowish white undercoating, so it's either strip and repaint or strip, polish, and clearcoat.

Any info will be appreciated.

Oh, yes, and they look niiiice!

Here are a coupla pics, fastsc92 may have some more pics he coudl show ya...
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63621&highlight=polished

There were some larger pics on the ebay links, but they're gone.

If I had a solid black SC, I'd do a set!

I think the early SC wheels are really sharp, there has also been some fanticizing about some 17-18 inch wheels, but someone's would have to put up some huge bucks for that.

Last edited:
leeklimala said:
Our rims are aluminum right? So I could, in theory, strip them of their paint and clearcoats and polish and buff them to a high luster?

Yes, Its aluminum and it will look like chrome when polished. many people have done it and I'm sure they will agree that its a time comsuming process....... mainly in the sanding.

Last edited:
My car came with them and I redid them last spring. You can see a couple of shots on my member page.

WAS: Can our rims be polished? NOW: Wheel Colors?

Thanks for the replies fellas. What about the centercaps for the 94's? Aren't they plastic? If so, then polishing is out of the question. In that respect I think a gunmetal, dark grey, or dark silver would go best with my paintjob. I definitely hate the bright silver against my dark red. They clash so horribly when I clean them that I stopped doing so. Does aircraft paint stripper hurt aluminum?

Back