Pouring fuel from pump area

Tony8470

I just got the car back together yesterday. I put 42# injectors and a 255lph pump in. It was running fine untill tonight. I was flooring it up the hill to put it through it paces and heard some stuff popping. I thought it was the music I was listening to so I turned it off. Started driving home and I smell fuel.

Its coming from the area where the fuel pump is, the car runs fine. I was just wondering if anyone else had something of the same problem before I go through the trouble of dropping tank again. Oh, I lost about a full tank in about 6 miles. Must be the return line if the car runs.

Are you sure the fuel lines were attached securely onto the fuel pump? The higher pressure pump in concert with questionable connection may have blown the line off.

did you change the rubber ring gasket with a new one or use the old one.i did a 255 lph on mine and got the float level stuck on the sock and had to pull the pump out again 3days later and fixed the float but reused the gasket and it stretched in that time.i had to pull the unit again and change the ring gasket cause it was leaking around the sending unit.

We'll find out tonite. Good thing I didn't tighten the exhust clamps all the way yet, hoping for a speedy answer to that. Thing that bugs me is I was showing it off to my friends and had 5 people in the car flooring it, and it didnt have any problems.

Yea I replaced it with the one that came with the mn-12 performance kit. It only leaks (pours out) when the engine is running.

definetly a line then if it only pours while running which makes it a little easier to fix not having to pull the pump.

Quick tip for fuel pump maintenance-
Jack the front and rear of the car. Remove the exhaust and loosen the two rear strap bolts. Lightly prop the back (you will need some movement). A second jack there works well. Place a jack under the front of the tank. Remove the front two bolts and swing the passenger strap out of the way. Lower the jack slowly as to tip the tank downward. (This eliminates the hassle of the filler tubes.) With ¼ full tank there is enough room to change the pump without much hassle.
Check the return line solder joint where it passes through the top. On four occasions I have seen a crack, and in one case completely broken free in the top. Usually this is noticed as an on-going leak, but there is a possibility you may have developed one while reinstalling the pump. Of course check the o-ring by visually checking how much clearance you have from the top to the rubber all the way around the top. A small mirror will help. Check the seal between the return line and the housing tube. With the tank still in-place like this you can start he car and check for leaks.
Hope this helps. ---Max

Well, it was operator error. No retaining clips installed. I kinda figured. :rolleyes:

But I was driving it again tonite, wondering why the temperature gauge was always sitting at the blue mark. I washed out the intake manifold when engine was apart. Put the water hose into the coolant pipe and flushed it............................water went right through. I didnt even think twice about it. Now I realize, there is no thermostat.

Previous owner had a vornado installed and no thermostat. Im starting to doubt their intelligence.

Back