Ignition harness

ThunderDave

Well, in doing my swap from a 91 to an 89, I discovered the ignition wiring harness connectors on the 91 and 89 are different. The harness was missing from the 89, so I was planning to use the one off the 91 I had. The 91 has 9 wires and the 89 has 8.

I'm trying to locate a harness for an 89 right now, but in case I can't find one, is there a way to work around this. It would be a pain to indentify the wires and cut and solder the 91 harness in. Anyone got any suggestions?

There is also a connector behind the intake manifold, that I can't see where anything would hook up to it. I'll take pics and post later.

Thanks!

Last edited:
The 1st pic is the connector off the 91. The 2nd is the connector on the 89 and the 3rd is the one at the back of the intake manifold.

Attachments

• DCP01128.JPG
    DCP01128.JPG
    237.9 KB · Views: 57
  • DCP01127.JPG
    DCP01127.JPG
    227.5 KB · Views: 52
  • DCP01126.JPG
    DCP01126.JPG
    251.2 KB · Views: 53
If you cant find one let me know, I have a friend in a bone yard that keeps about a dozen of these for me and All of them have the harnesses. I believe that one from a standard bird will work also.

S

I'll have Dave take a look at the 89 at his shop....

The engine is gone, so it should be an easy pick.....:rolleyes:

I thought the standard bird motors had a distributor. I think it will need to be from an 89 SC, to make sure it is the correct one.

I found it.....

The plug that you are looking at goes to a black module that is on a bracket just behind the TB and the intake.....

I have no idea what its function is......:confused:

Attachments

• Plug 004.jpg
    Plug 004.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 42
  • Plug 005.jpg
    Plug 005.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 39
RadiumSC said:
The 1st pic is the connector off the 91. The 2nd is the connector on the 89 and the 3rd is the one at the back of the intake manifold.
The wiring harness that connects to your 89 connector goes to the under side of the A/C, both sides of the DIS, the cam position sensor, and the coil pack.....

There is another part that goes behind the HB.....

You should have another smaller connector that goes with the big one....

So did your 89 have the harness on it? Did the connector look like it would hook up to either of the connectors I posted pics of?

Back