Trans crossmember bolt issues...how bad is this? (PIX)

CaifanSC

SCCoA Member
my 35th had a vibration when shifting/decelerating and the previous owner said it had to do with the trans mount. So today i go under there and finally notice that the trans crossmember bolt on the drivers side wasnt fully threaded...when I tried to finish screwing it I noticed it just spun around. Long story short, the bolt just spined and was not at all threaded...which explains why i was getting this vibration. Once i finally got the bolt out I noticed that the reason it only spun was because it had actually broken the base where it threaded in.

Does anybody know what the bolt actually threads to? I mean, i dotn think it could have broken a piece of the metal frame...im wondering if its some sort of clip thing or bracket that the bolt threads to and not the frame. Bellow is a pic of both bolts...the passingers side is the good one and the one with the metal piece is from the drivers side. Any help is appreciated.

bolts.jpg

I just replaced mine with Vic's polys. they came with bushings that I did not use because I have bolts just like those two, and they were the correct diameter--which I believe the bushings were for using different hardware.

I did not notice whether they go all the way into the car or not, but if so, you could always use a longer bolt and get somebody to hold a nut inside the car for ya while you tighten it underneath...

paul

I believe there is a stamped clip in there, not sure what you call them...

I believe these can be replaced, not sure where you'd get the clip, but IIRC, I got one from my parts car and replaced the worn ones in my other car.

I'm pretty sure that piece you showed was attached to a plate/clip.

You don't get to it from inside the car...

Someone prolly needs to back me up on that, cuz its been a little while, and I could be wrong.

You are correct my friend...soon after i posted i thought about all those interior and exterior pieces in our cars that have those clip things to which the bolt actually threads into. SO i got under the car and checked and found what i have pictured bellow. The bolt threads into this small bracket and on the drivers side it broke...hence it just spun around doing nothing. So, if all goes good tomorrow I shall hit the junk yard in the early morn to pick up another bolt and the small bracket which SHOULD fix my vibration issues. HOpefully this is one more problem off the check list of the 35th.

transclip.jpg

Those clips are usually called "J-nuts" or "J-clips". You should be able to get a new one at any dealership or maybe even your local hardware store.

Back