whos used night shades, or translucent window tint spray?

Merlon

im doing it tonight with testors translucent black window tint.

wondering what to do about these brake lights. the curved surface might be a hard thing to get an even look, and do i clean with dish soapy water, or windex?

any help is totaly appreciated.
and i did search, didnt find what i wanted

hey Merlon,
I used nite shades on my tail lights and it looks good and so far has held up well, with no scratching or fading. I haven't used any spray window tint or testors, I just used nite shades on just the tail lights, as far as prep goes I just took them all off wiped them down with alcohol, taped off the silver birds in the center of the reflectors and sprayed 3 coats on them. they look good, the only thing I wish had turned out better is that the finish is not glossy, it is more of a semigloss look when dried. It's not a bad look or noticeable from a few feet back but just something I figured would be a high gloss.
Hope this helps you out.
Greg

...thanks

yeah i did mine
not too glossy, really a matte semi gloss like you said.

maybe a clear enamel would help. either way mines arent blacked out they are just smoked out.

maybe when i have another 12 hours ill do 2 more coats to really enhance that darkness

Are you also considering spray tint for the windows? I can only imagine that stuff running and dripping all over the place, I'd not recommend it.

As for the tail lights, I have some nightshades stuff somewhere, was going to try it, but then again I like my all red tail lights, so I don't know what to do. Maybe I'll buy a complete set of spare lights off ebay and that way I can tint them and then have the red ones in case I get pulled over or I decide I don't like them dark. On mustangs I've seen it looks cool but I'd like to see some pics of an SC. Post them please if you have any.

nite shades pic...

Hey, I didin't think I had any pics of my car with the nite shades, but found one of my car at a show, it's a good compairison to stock having another sc next to it. The thing I liked about the nite shades is that I was able to tint the 3rd brake light on the spoiler, unlike if I used tail light black outs. I did what you are thinking of doing Scott, I bought a second set of lights and reflectors from a bone yard just in case it didin't turn out as I expected or if the fuzz stopped me for it. So far I haven't had one issue with the cops here in Orlando, I'm sure if I did more out of state traveling I'd probably have issues.
I'm with Scott on the spray tint for the windows, I wouldin't do it, the conventional method of tinting has seemed to prove itself. I wouldin't take the risk, plus I'm sure it would be a pain to remove if it got screwed up or was too dark.

Attachments

• nite shades.jpg
    nite shades.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
what is this about cops?

opkay are cops going to start hassling me? shoot should i be looking for set #2 to keep in my trunk???

i have brighter brakes, and the reflectors shine through.

not ricy.....

Wow I think it looks good!
I have a full spare set of less than perfect tail lights myself I might try that stuff on.....

Gregthespy said:
Hey, I didin't think I had any pics of my car with the nite shades, but found one of my car at a show, it's a good compairison to stock having another sc next to it. The thing I liked about the nite shades is that I was able to tint the 3rd brake light on the spoiler, unlike if I used tail light black outs. I did what you are thinking of doing Scott, I bought a second set of lights and reflectors from a bone yard just in case it didin't turn out as I expected or if the fuzz stopped me for it. So far I haven't had one issue with the cops here in Orlando, I'm sure if I did more out of state traveling I'd probably have issues.
I'm with Scott on the spray tint for the windows, I wouldin't do it, the conventional method of tinting has seemed to prove itself. I wouldin't take the risk, plus I'm sure it would be a pain to remove if it got screwed up or was too dark.

opkay are cops going to start hassling me? shoot should i be looking for set #2 to keep in my trunk???

i have brighter brakes, and the reflectors shine through.
Well, as far as the cops thing goes I guess it really boils down to how strict the cops are in your area, I've never had a problem here in Orlando, but I'm sure if I drove through the wrong town where there was only 2 cops that were totally bored they would probable at least give me a warning.:rolleyes: ;) I would just use your judgement, as it does say "For offroad use only" on it!:D

Whos sc is that on the left of the picture?
That SC would be Flip Tetlow's '93 you may also recognize it as the April car in the Super Coupe Performance calendar.;) Here's his members page: http://www.sccoa.com/member/index.php?uniquename=tetlow
Wow I think it looks good!
I have a full spare set of less than perfect tail lights myself I might try that stuff on.....
I sure like it, But I don't think I'll be putting it on my '95 when I finish it up, I wouldin't want to lessen the ammount of working LED panels out there.:eek: Plus I plan on painting that SC a dark metallic blue and actually like the contrast of the bright red lenses on the back.
Be sure to post some pics up of yours when they are all done, Merlon.

its different, but i think the tail lights on sc's are perfectly fine the way they are, one of the best looking taillights out there still to this day. the 92-95 ones that is.
a friend of mine did that to his contour svt and they looked like pure SHI T, they dont shine, and its tough to get a uniform coat on the whole light because of the cheap ~~~ spray can nozzle. we clearcoated them afterwards and that made it look better but still not quite right.
he got pulled over 2 weeks later and we had to strip it all off and buff the sand scratches out of the lights. i wouldnt recommend it

its different, but i think the tail lights on sc's are perfectly fine the way they are, one of the best looking taillights out there still to this day. the 92-95 ones that is.
a friend of mine did that to his contour svt and they looked like pure SHI T, they dont shine, and its tough to get a uniform coat on the whole light because of the cheap ~~~ spray can nozzle. we clearcoated them afterwards and that made it look better but still not quite right.
he got pulled over 2 weeks later and we had to strip it all off and buff the sand scratches out of the lights. i wouldnt recommend it

Back