byebye cats????

blownbird2

hey everybody i was just wondering does anybody make some kind of exhaust system to do away with the cats :confused: anything from the the manifold to the muffler something i really want to get rid of them and im not gunna rig it with stupid flex pipe :mad: not happenen lol thanks matt:)

SCP or TBird88

blownbird2 said:
does anybody make some kind of exhaust system to do away with the cats
www.supercoupeperformance.com

OR

Buy a set of Drag Pipes from: http://www.texasthunderbirds.com/

OR

Find a sympathic "Muffler Man" shop. They can build just about any thing you want. Some Muffler Man shops can even cut & weld you a mandrel bent system.

OR

Do like the Schlongster did. Unbolt the cats & resonator, drive it to the muffler shop, & say, "It's LOUD, & need an exhaust w/o cats"

68COUGAR

Last edited:
I just took mine and got a set of custom downpipes from the manifolds back. eliminated the cats and opened it up alot.

I went to a cheap generic exhaust and brake shop, they did it for 250.

Be careful, because its illegal you really have to keep it on the DL with them, and let them know they can trust you, or else they wont do it.

State to State

xThunderbirdSCx said:
Be careful, because its illegal you really have to keep it on the DL with them, and let them know they can trust you, or else they wont do it.
That varies state to state. In Mich. the muffler shops can not legally remove the cats, BUT if you bring the car in with the cats already removed, they can PUT ON any exhaust you want.

68COUGAR

Wynn(tbird88) has catless downtubes available for early and late model SC's at his texasthunderbirds site. John

On my 92 I paid a guy who worked for a small exhaust shop out in the country $200 cash for him to remove the cats and weld up new downtubes. I didn't get a receipt and he said he'd deny all knowledge of my car if anything ever became of it.

On my 90, I got the exhaust pipe cutter from Auto Zone (rent it for $40.00) and then cut them off exactly in front and behind the cat. Then I bought two 2" flex pipes and 2 extra clamps and clamped it on in place of the cats, it barely fits, and then I drove to the exhaust shop and had them do some new pipes for $50.00. I got on it and it blew one of the flex pipes off on the way there, so when I showed up it was pretty damn loud. I think I had to pay them cash too and the guy up front said they wouldn't do it. As I was leaving a guy from the shop walked up to me and said he'd do it for $50.00 cash and he pulled the car in on the farthest bay from the front. He did it, and walked up front with me to the front desk and said "$50.00 for custom pipe work" and that was that.

The best way to do it would be to tow the car in on a trailer w/o license plates and tell them you are going to use it for racing and it will not be licensed or driven on a public road, then they should have no problem doing it for you. But if you don't own a truck and a trailer that would be expensive.

Scott Long said:
On my 92 I paid a guy who worked for a small exhaust shop out in the country $200 cash for him to remove the cats and weld up new downtubes. I didn't get a receipt and he said he'd deny all knowledge of my car if anything ever became of it.

On my 90, I got the exhaust pipe cutter from Auto Zone (rent it for $40.00) and then cut them off exactly in front and behind the cat. Then I bought two 2" flex pipes and 2 extra clamps and clamped it on in place of the cats, it barely fits, and then I drove to the exhaust shop and had them do some new pipes for $50.00. I got on it and it blew one of the flex pipes off on the way there, so when I showed up it was pretty damn loud. I think I had to pay them cash too and the guy up front said they wouldn't do it. As I was leaving a guy from the shop walked up to me and said he'd do it for $50.00 cash and he pulled the car in on the farthest bay from the front. He did it, and walked up front with me to the front desk and said "$50.00 for custom pipe work" and that was that.

The best way to do it would be to tow the car in on a trailer w/o license plates and tell them you are going to use it for racing and it will not be licensed or driven on a public road, then they should have no problem doing it for you. But if you don't own a truck and a trailer that would be expensive.

Like i said....thats how i had to do it. Dont go up there waving your arms and screaming I WANNA DUMP MY CATS!!!!!! Keep it on the down low, and ask one of the welders, not the boss or the clerk.

Erhm........!

I used to be a state inspector, don't care anymore, moved off the island, but how do you plan on getting this FORD thru your annuals???? cheers and good luck, I'm going through this bull now in Ct. myself. I think maybe I'll see what the power lose is and switch back and forth as needed from stock to no cats, cheers and beers F.

All that for an exhaust???

Jeez what a pain that sounds like!
Its a good thing we have local groups in various parts of the country!
Because of this site, I have 'a friend of a friend' who will do the work for any of us without hassle.....
The DOL here just told me I only had to get emmissions tested because I just bought my 89.
Now I won't have to again for at least three years.

My question is, if an SC'er does not need to have cats at all, is it better for performance NOT to run them?
I would like experienced opinions on this.
I heard it sounds like sheeot without cats, which I don't want either... I intend to have a resonator and mufflers, but just no cats--mostly because its cheaper....
This is prob a stupid question, but the exhaust is just about the ONLY thing I have not worked on yet with this car...

Scott Long said:

HI FLOW cats vs. No Cats

thirdbird said:
My question is, if an SC'er does not need to have cats at all, is it better for performance NOT to run them? I would like experienced opinions on this. I heard it sounds like sheeot without cats, which I don't want either... I intend to have a resonator and mufflers, but just no cats
I took my cats off LONG AGO & have never regretted it. The OEM cats create a helluva backpressure. If you must kneel down before the Smog Nazis, Check out the Almost Zero Backpressure cats from Random Technology ( www.randomtechnology.com ). There is an article on these cats in the Nov. 2005 issue of Mustang Enthusiasts.

What sounds RICEY is when you delete the RESONATOR, like I did. If you use a good HI-Flow resonator, it shouldn't sound ricey.

68COUGAR

Last edited:
Thanks Man....
Then I am going to do drag pipes to a maggie resonator to start!

paul

68COUGAR said:
I took my cats off LONG AGO & have never regretted it. The OEM cats create a helluva backpressure. If you must kneel down before the Smog Nazis, Check out the Almost Zero Backpressure cats from Random Technology ( www.randomtechnology.com ). There is an article on these cats in the Nov. 2005 issue of Mustang Enthusiasts.

What sounds RICEY is when you delete the RESONATOR, like I did. If you use a good HI-Flow resonator, it shouldn't shound ricey.

68COUGAR

Cats..........?

Ah, they don't sound to bad without the cats! Like the man said just don't delete the res.! If you look at yer stock cats you'll see why you need to get rid of 'em, 'nuff said! I've got a set of Borla's mufflers to try this year, if it ever stops rainin'. cheers Frank

What Comes in, Must Go Out

thirdbird said:
Thanks Man....
Then I am going to do drag pipes to a maggie resonator to start! paul
Your Engine wil LOVE you!!!

In the Old (MY) Day, we always said, "Do the Exhaust FIRST", because if your exhaust is a CORK, , no matter what you do UpStream, you still have a Cork up your Azz!!!

That old school advise still holds true. "If you can't get it OUT, you can't PUSH anything In"

Think about it!!!

COUGAR

good analogy!

......thats where they compare things. :rolleyes: :D

Back