oil gauge

jackpriceisgod

ok, ive searched, i know its can be called an idiot light, its not accurate, yadda yadda

i just bought a 5 spd 94 sc, and when im in first or second, the oil gauge dips to nothing and i can def hear from the engine liek there is no oil gettin in it, then as soo as i shift to third, it goes away, and i can floor it in 3rd fourth and fifth, no problem. but the gauge never goes too high, it stats right at the line, the left line that makes up the little rectangle with the word norm in it. now, the seller said he just had the oil replaced at som place, so maybe then didnt put enough oil in? i woudl check, but the dipstick i broke the end off when i got it(no, not in the engine)

i also own a 94 thunderbird, 4.6, and the oil gauges is always at 90*, or in the middle of norm. so im hoping the problem i have is just not enough oil. it hink it may be the oil pump, but if it was, why would it get oil in 3rd 4th and 5th?

Dipstick

Borrow a dipstick from one of your SC friends.

Dunno if a N/A 3.8 has the same dipstick, but if it does, you should be able to get one from a junk yard, for next to nothing.

If it turns out to be the oil pump, make sure your replacement is the HV type that was OEM on the late models.

68COUGAR

Your right about it being just an "idiot" light. But where it sits is different on any car. Its all dependent on how good the wire connection is and the grounds etc.

Once it swings over then you know your above 5psi roughly, as I think thats where it switches. There is a mod that you can do that will make it behave like a real oil pressure gauge but of course you won't know what the pressure is, but at least you know if your getting to low on pressure.

Frit

the n/a birds have a shorter dipstick. check the connection on the pressure sensor, might be loose like a moose, crimp it down to get a tighter fitting. mines used to do that until i found out the connector was loose. now it works great. plus i installed a real oil pressure gauge in the engine bay.

Back