B&M shifter bad?

• Thread starter xThunderbirdSCx
  • Start date
X

xThunderbirdSCx

I was racing yesterday and i realized that my ripper shifter got looser than it usually is. I can wiggle it back and forth and left and right when its in gear, i couldnt before.

is this just the springs in the shifter breaking in finally (ive had it for 8 months)

or did something else loosen up? i dont think the 4 plate bolts are loose and i cant lift it up and down?

did i mess up the actual shifter arm in the tranny? I was punching it pretty hard.

well I had mine for ever a year and its still tight, check the mounting bolts and then let us know. Check the easy cheap stuff.

Im thinking that its the two shifter handle bolts that are loose. Not uncommon for them to thread out. I really doubt ther's something wrong with the shifter its self.

Shifter Handle Bolts

CaifanSC said:
Im thinking that its the two shifter handle bolts that are loose. Not uncommon for them to thread out.
I 2nd. that idea. My shift handle bolts backed out about 5 times. Finally I bought some allen head bolts, & used lock-tite on them. They haven't backed out since.

68COUGAR

Mine backed out after a couple months also. Used some lock-tite and they are fine so far. I would bet that is the problem.

i have a B&M short shifter, could something be wrong with it so it rattles like hell when it's in 5th/make it hard to shift into first and second?

I would guarantee your shifting rod rolts backed out. Use blue thread lock on them. Make sure you clean the threads out too. If they didnt back out then you have transmission problems and it needs rebuilt.

Back