PDA

View Full Version : Perfect AC delete setup *PICS*

V6Sprout
06-04-2006, 09:59 PM
For those wanting to delete their AC and runa short belt around the Alt/waterpump/crank and PS pump I have the perfect solution. This allows you to have good tension on the belt too. You remove the stock tensioner and replace it with a tensioner from a 3.8 NA motor, the tensioner that sits on the AC bracket of the NA motors is the reverse direction of the stock SC tensioner, meaning it puts tension UPWARDS ont he belt instead of downwards like the SC tensioner. IT will bolt right up, same dowel pics and everything but doing this will put the pulley right on the alternator pulley, possibly even hitting it, so you need to clock the tensioner, put the larger dowel pin on the back in the hole where the smaller dowel pin would go, you need to drill this out just slightly. The smaller dowel pin willnow rest on the outside of the PS pump bracket, right against the bracket. PUll down on the tensioner and it will put tension upwards on the bel;t just like you want. The mustang tensioner pulley is even ribbed, but unfortunately its only a 6 rib pulley, so you will need an 8 rib pulley or just cut the edge off the pulley and run 6 of the 8 ribs on it but thats kinda risky. Here are some pics.

Also the bolt from the NA tensioner needs to be used, as its shorter in length but threads in just perfect.

Dahoopd
06-04-2006, 10:09 PM
Awesome Find if it works. (not doubting) I have been trying to figure out a better way than the mod to the stock tensioner. I deleted my ac, this will be one less problem if the car ever gets put back together. Great Job.

V6Sprout
06-04-2006, 10:20 PM
OK I just test fit the tensioner on my SC motor, here are the pics. The pulley doesn'tline up perfect int he pic but thast because I can't bolt it all the way on, the PS bracket on my car doesn't have the dowel pin hole driller out so the tensioner won't go all the way on, but I placed the tensioner flat against the bracket a little higher and checked alignment and the pulley is dead on, and the puelley clears the water pump nicely, check out the belt wrap on the water pump pulley, well imagine a belt on there.:D

Brandon
06-05-2006, 06:59 AM
Awesome Find if it works. (not doubting) I have been trying to figure out a better way than the mod to the stock tensioner. I deleted my ac, this will be one less problem if the car ever gets put back together. Great Job.

Yes, it works....I did this a few years ago.

supercatxr7
06-08-2006, 08:59 PM
You can pick up the whole assembly from advanced auto:

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?mfrcode=GOO&mfrpartnumber=49227&parttype=819&ptset=A

I'm in the process of setting it up. Looks like you need a shorter bolt to secure it to the bracket as well.

Dahoopd
06-08-2006, 09:29 PM
As close as the pulley is to the tensioner, I doubt you could get an 8 rib pulley on there. Maybe a spacer but then the bolt might not torque down right.

V6Sprout
06-08-2006, 10:03 PM
its easy to get a longer bolt.

xThunderbirdSCx
06-08-2006, 10:53 PM
Why not just cut the tab off the stock tensioner and then spin it to tension the other way? Its super easy and works fine. I did mine in about 5 mins.