PDA

View Full Version : SC flywheel vs 5.0L flywheel

quick35th
06-06-2006, 12:27 AM
Guys can I use a flywheel off a 3.8 SC engine and use it on a 5.0L thats going to have an M5R2 behind it? I am going to use an SC starter as well if I can. Reason I ask is because I have a SPEC lightweight flywheel for the SC that I would like to use of my 5.0L thats going in my SC instead of having to buy a whole new flywheel. Thanks for any input.

Shane

lilredstang
06-06-2006, 03:20 PM
It will bolt on buuut......the sc uses a zero balance flywheel and the 5.0 uses either a 50oz. or 2?oz. balance. Most 5.0s have the 10.5" flywheel and the 3.8 has an 11" I think, but that shouldn't matter with the tranny you are using.

68COUGAR
06-06-2006, 06:09 PM
The mounting holes on the SC & 5.0 flywheel are different size. I don't know if it will work or not, BUT if you use the SC flywheel, you MUST use the SC flywheel bolts.

I found this out when I bought a SPEC alum flywheel for my SC. The SC flywheel bolts (which have a shoulder on them), wouldn't go into the flywheel. I called SPEC with the diamentions of the holes & bolts. They told me that my flywheel had accidently been drilled for Mustang (5.0) bolts. They advised me that I could drill out the holes, which I declined. SPEC sent me another new flywheel (overnight delivery), AND they paid to send the incorrect flywheel back to them. They probably re-drilled the flywheel & resold it. Nothing wrong in that, but I wasn't about to drill it & possibly end up with $350 worth of scrap alum.

68COUGAR

Mark McCormack
07-11-2006, 05:55 PM
I had an SC flywheel rebalanced for the 5.0 and used the SC bolts and everything went together fine. Spec clutch rebalanced the flywheel for me. Hope this helps.

Mark