Different part #'s for 1989 DIS module?

CaifanSC

SCCoA Member
I just bought a used motorcraft DIS module for my 89 and i was checking the part number on the DIS with an old post by George D. with different DIS part numbers for sc's, sho's etc. Well, in my DIS the part number is E9DF-12A297-BA, and the one that George D. posted for the 89 & 90 SC'S was E9DZ-12A297-B. Only a few letters of difference, but I just want to make sure. Any thoughts? thanx

THE MANUAL THAT I HAVE ONLY GIVES PART # 12A297, SO I THINK THOSE ARE THE NUMBERS THAT MATTER .
I GUESS, NOT SURE.

The number that George posted is the service part number, meaning this would be the part number on the box if you went to the store and bought one over the counter. The number on your old module is the stamping number, also called the engineering number, which usually can be crossed over to the service part number. As you noted, in this case only a few of the digits are different, that's usually the case. However, sometimes the service part number can be completely different, even the base number, in this example 12A297, which indicates an ignition module. An engine block casting will usually have a stamping of ---- 6015 -- , but the replacement would be ---- 6010 -- . There is a ryhme and reason to the Ford numbering system, but there are some twists and turns to it, and in the last few years especially, numbers get assigned to a part and they don't follow their own rules for making the numbers ... makes my job a bit more "challenging" !! OK, I'm finished venting now.

cheers
Ed N.

I had a chance today to check my old DIS and it has the exact same numbers...so i guess it should work fine. Im gonna give it a try and see what happens.

Back