Grand Nationals are amazing!

MadMerc

I just got back from the drag races today, and had the chance to see a Grand National do a few passes.
If I remember right his best was a 10.10 second run down the 1/4 mile...and holy crap you could hear the turbo whine a mile away!
Sure I've seen GN's drive around town, but have yet to see one going down the track until now.
I know our cars were not meant for drag racing, and more aimed at nascar...but I would love to have my cougar do a 10 second pass one day with as little mods as the GN's, To bad it's so bloody heavy! lol
I now have plenty of respect for those beautiful cars!

they are fast...but the dont get any respect like our cars. Not many people know what they are or what sc's are. But it makes my sick how everyone knows what a civic is..lol Those ricers are amazed at running 16.7 ET, and getting 90 horse at the wheels. It must be those clear tail lights that gives them 20 horse gain.....easy.....ahahahahahahahaha

You think alot of people don't know about the Super Coupe? Try driving an 90 Cougar XR7 like me...1 in 75 people (if I'm lucky) know a tiny bit about them...and if they do know something about them, chances are they worked at a Ford delership back then, or somebody next door to them owned one.
It's funny cuase not even the cops look at me, like they used to do when I had any one of my Mustangs.
This could be a good thing, however I'm not sure Ford advertized to well back then.

I have on video a GN making an 8.30@162 pass.. It is one sick clip.. The GN lifts the wheels on the launch and they dont come down till the 330ft.. If i can find the video and convert it to Mpeg i will..

Stealth Cougar XR7's

It is DEFINITELY a plus to be on the highway haulin' a-- in a Cougar. NO one gives you a second thought. Cops, Import Racers, Vettes.

You'd have to push 90-100 before anything else on the road notices, "hey, there's a Mercury trying to race!"
:D

I had a bright red 89 XR7 and didn't get pulled over once.

Best part is...we do it quietly too...no annoying farting exhaust that echoes all over the freeway. Funniest thing is to hear a loud 4 banger hiccuping from an 1/8 mile behind, struggling to catch you...then hear it drop a gear, squat, make even more noise and e-ver so s-l-o-w-l-y inchworm away of you. Nothing like just easing down a little bit on the gas to get that extra psi or two of boost and leave them in your wake...while still in O/D no less!!

Jesse

Unless of course that 4 banger happens to be turbocharged and all you happen to hear is the sound of the BOV as he is upshifting and pulling away from you in 5th gear :)

Just Curious

How come i beat a turbo integra with my stock SC?? It was funny, i actually though i was gonna lose cause he told me after i raced his buddy that my car was slow. How much is in your car kwik?? what is done so that it runs 13.2?

I wasnt talking about Honda's anyways cause turbocharged Honda's need serious tuning to run good numbers... DSM's on the other hand... :)

I have a boost controller, 3" exhaust, fuel pump, S-AFC, ported manifold, ported turbo exhaust housing and ported 02 housing as my "major" mods.. All in all with the race clutch i have around $2000 invested.. I run 19psi on the street and 22psi at the track with race gas on the stock turbo.. Kind of sucks tho cause i know my car is an easy 12.80 car but the rings are so shot that it leaks boost in the upper RPM ranges.. Its funny to watch the boost gauge go from 22...21...20..19...18...17 *shift* 22...21...20...19...18...17 *shift* LoL..

MadMerc i have the tape i just need to figure out a way to convert it to MPeg..

Seen GN vidoes lately??

As a former GM G-Body guy I still visit some of their GM pages...

http://www.gnttype.org/media/multimedia.html

The one that STILL puts chills down my back is the The Car & Driver video footage of the Mighty GNX wasting the twin turbo Calloway Vette.

I snoop around here to find out there secrets and what can be applied to our SC's.

enjoy

Jesse

Back