Inverted Supercharger?

Kev70

What is the purpose of inverting the supercharger? How will it give it more power? Does anyone sell some sort of kit for it?

The supercharger is mounted in what many consider is an upside down configuration. The outlet is on the top and the inlet is on the bottom. Thus a conflaguration of pipes and tubing is necessary to get the air back into the engine in a very much less than direct manner.

Part of the benefit of the current configuration though is ease of plumbing the intercooler.

But flip the blower over, build a Air to Water intercooler, sandwich it between the SC and the intake manifold and wam, bam, you have just increased the efficiency of the blower.

It will be more responsive due to the decrease involume that needs to be compressed. Less pressure drop because of the reduced distances. And the ability to improve the air flow into the SC by a more direct route.

Increased intake efficiency allows for the "potential" for increased engine power.

I.E. you still need to have the fuel flow, the exhaust flow, and the flow within the head, plus a good spark.

There are no known kits currently. A user here named mannysc has done this to his own car, modified the intake manifold dramatically, and cast his own intake plumbing. It's a lot of work he has done. He's still assembling and hopefully soon we will all find out how sucessful he has been. Then maybe someone will take on the role of building a kit. Perhaps mannysc can work with embree? Or he has his own guys down there?

perhaps something like what the picture below shows could also be useful in this inverted-blower set up. I cant remember who made this thing, all i remember is that it was posted in the EZ board forum a while back. This would also get rid of teh extra piping to the original intercooler location. Obviously that was the purpose for this top mounted intercooler, but keeping the 'upside down' blower setup that is original to our SC's.

Attachments

• top mounted ic.jpg
    top mounted ic.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 657
the inl;et plenum is welded steel for now

if anyone is good welder of alluninum email me I want to make them from aluminum pay you good!!!$$$

serious offer

Originally posted by mannysc if anyone is good welder of alluninum email me I want to make them from aluminum pay you good!!!$$$

Manny, I'd be happy to talk with you about making one out of aluminum. Here's a page of odds & ends I've been tinkerin' on. Doesn't explain much, just a little proof that I do aluminum work.

Link - aluminum projects etc.

This is a serious offer so please treat it as such, email me if you're interested.

'bird

bypass and ic

here ya go its in rear behind intake tubeget a picture up my others got removed from my pics host.

love it!

I understand about the exchanger, but how did you mount to the supercharger to the exchanger? And exchanger to the block? What radiater core did you use for theexchanger. You got me on this one, I heard about it before but never saw pics. And who the hell is Alex. Sounds like and icehole! What knid of advantage would you have VS. stock, performance wise?

inverted

the heat exchanger is sandwiched between the lower intake and blower I cut out lower intake welded in a 1/4 plate cut openning then screw in 4 pins to locate exchanger then bolt blower on via its three mounting bolts simple design the bypass is made from a old carb baseplate and a spacer is mounted over it to take up space made by exchanger hight so you can run with or with out exchanger propane injection is behind blower to aid in cooling and octane boosting the unit is same hieght as stock with out exchanger barely fits under hood with it in place , when smog time comes you can place block off plate over lower intake openning and revert back to stock setup its just 1/2 inch higher than stock when in stock configureation. oh and alex was my good friend we had a problem but its over he is really a cool guy 99% of the time so dont get me wrong about him id trust my life with him

Last edited:
Back