How to disable brake start switch

Scott Long

On my 90 SC I have to push the brake pedal to get the car to crank, its annoying and its not been working so well like maybe the sensor is going bad. So I want to eliminate the whole deal. I am wondering if I can find the wires and hook them together or if it runs off the brake light switch or what. I wouldn't want to hook the brake light switch wires together as my brake lights would stay on all the time, but there has to be a way around this.

I had a problem a little while ago with it where I had to press hard on the brake pedal to get the ole girl to start up. It was then I noticed that I had to give a lot of pedal to get the brake lights to come on as well.

I replaced the switch on the pedal and all is good again. I kinda like that feature as its funny to watch people try to start my car and nothing happens ;).

Frit

was it only the 90's that had that feature?, none of mine have that. how u been scott havent talked to you in a couple years

As far as I know it was only the 90's that had it, but maybe the '89's had it to but someone with one will have to confirm that.

Frit

I'm good Gary, glad to see you still have the 93 SC.

It almost wouldn't start after work today. I pushed the pedal as hard as I could, turned the key and nothing, no click or anything. Then I pushed it down a 2nd time and it started. The brake lights work fine.

I gotta disable this thing its annoying the heck out of me.

The relay is mounted just to the left of the steering column. It is up behind the lower trim panel above the fuse panel. There are two red wires with, I think, green stripes. You can either pull the relay out and jumper these wires, or just cut them and wire them together.
Clark

Thanks I'll try that. I think they are pink/green though I printed a starter circuit wiring diagram today at work so I'll mess with it later.

Finally had time today to mess with it.

It's a relay with 4 wires (2 red w/ baby blue stripe, one green, one purple). I cut the red wires w/ baby blue stripes, stripped them, and used a butt connector to crimp them together. Put the dash panel back on, and turned the key. The car fired right up. Much better.

It was getting to where I'd have to hold the key in the crank position and then pump the brake until it would finally crank. Makes me wonder if it was even going to crank at all. I don't want to be stranded somewhere so I bypassed the whole ordeal and thank god. Its ~~~~ to push the brake to start the car. Then at night people see your brake lights... can't be sneaky...

might be easier just to replace the relay, then again where would you find one?

I think the relay worked fine but the switch was going out.

Anyhow I brought this thread to the top since it was asked about. I couldn't remember what color wires so I just found this old post and revived it. Sorry but this makes it easier.

Hey, I looked under the dash on my 90', but I didn't see any relay as you decribed. There is a wire junction block next to the fuse box, between the fuse box and the body panel, but I didn't see any relay.
My shop manual is of no help...nowhere does it even mention the brake/starter interlock feature.
Where excatly is this thing?

Pull the 3 8mm bolts that hold the lower drivers dash panel on. Then remove the metal backing plate (I threw this away as it's just more weight on my car). Then look down by the steering shaft, mine was up under there near the side of the metal frame panel where the fuse box is inside. Look for the wires with the colors I mentioned. I could snap a picture tomorrow for you if you still can't find it. I'd do it now but I don't have tools with me.

O man, my 1990 bird does the same thing. Some times it doesnt start so I have to pump up the breaks.

HAHA, yea, its fun to see people try to start it LOL. This poor Midas employee tryed to start it for like 5 min and finally came in and asked me how to start it.

Thanks for this thread. And NO it isn't funny to watch people try and start your car. I had my car at a drive thru car wash where they put your car in tracks and then a guy jumps in at the end and starts it to pull out where they dry it. This guy couldn't get my car started and the car behind mine almost got fed right into my rear bumper. I had to scream at him to step on the brake. Another time I had it at a brake shop and the dummy just kept cranking the hell out of the ignition and busted my ignition switch with all my accessories on. I promptly had to jump down his bosses throat and they paid for my new ignition switch.
I'll be disabling this feature now that I'm doing my 5 speed swap and have the access panel already off.

Early year auto's. 5-speeds had the clutch safety switch.

It almost seems like it's only 90 Auto's with this annoyance.

brake interlock

my 90 starts without touching the brakes, but my 91 and 93 have brake interlocc, guess its a "saftey" feature ford came up with for auto cars. enginers with to much time. I get relays at the salvage yard. when I find a fresh SC in the boneyard I strip the fuse box and put all the stuff in the glovebox of my car closest to the year of the doner.

At the time everybody was all up in arms about "unintended acceleration" (thank you 60 Minutes) and the brake/starter interlock this was the quick fix before the brake/shifter interlock became available.

Back