Still no 2-3 shift, anyone REALLY know their AOD???

sizemoremk

I'll give ya the short version...

I rebuilt this tranny two summers ago, and upgraded some things, Kevlar OD band, 4r70w gearset. Ran perectly for a year and a half.

I broke the input shaft this past December, which prompted the early start of my engine (top half) project with the heads/cam, etc, etc...
When the shaft broke, it broke in the TC end of the shaft, clen break... However it wasn't during a hard launch or anythig, it was at moderate thrttle, downhill; and I wasn't really paying attention at the time, but I want to say it broke during a 3-4 upsift.

I got the hardened input shaft put in, and an Alan/dirtyd0g 11" non-lockling TC when I had the engine out. Then when I got everything back together, the car won't shift into 3rd. It doesn't shift, then neutral out (at least I get no indication that a shift in either direction ever take splace), it seems to never shift. If I run the RPMS up, even to 4-5K, never shifts. If I let off, it neutrals until it gets enough RPM to catch back up with the speed I'm going.

So, I spoke with a few folks, and a couple suggested stuck valve; so I pulled the VB, and everything seemed OK. But I still removed a few valves, particularly the 2-3 shift ad backout vaves, and made sure they moved OK, etc then retourqued the VB back in very carefully. But guess what, still no 3rd:(

Then I pulled the tranny and took everything out to find my new hardened ($170) input shaft stuck in the new converter... All else in the tranny looks good, direct clutches look to be very slightly burnt on the inner edge, but they are far form gone. The 2-3 accumulator looked fine also. All seals looked good to the eye, and the direct clutch engages with compressed air applied.

But I'm thinking that whatever broke the first input shaft, tried to break the next one, but broke the splines or something in my new non-locking TC instead. The converter is now broken, as according to Alan/Dirtyd0g, and a local tranny guy, there is a broken weld inside the converter. The tranny guy sent me to PTC conveters over in muscle shoals, where I'll have to take it Thursday to get it repaired.

So I guess the only thing left to look into is the VB... I am not familiar with the vb, other than cleaning, and installig the shift kit back when I rebuilt the trany... Which I also went back over the details of the shift kit with its manual when I went back through it the other day.

One thing I just realized that I did not do, was that I did not fill the converter prior to installing it, but I did let it idle for quite a while, and filled it to the crosshatches after the engine was good and hot. Does anyone know if this was really bad.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
i have a 93 auto that has the same symptoms, only my transmission only has a transgo shift kit in it, i was on it pretty good one day and it went to shift into 3rd and ZING, no 3rd gear, car only has 33k on it, a local tranny guy said that i burned the clutch packs out of it because the car sits so much they dried up and got weak, im not so sure about that, the car had red line synthetic in it for a long time, that 2-3 shift was VERY hard though, could it have broken the TC or a shaft, i have no idea what it could be. the car has been sitting for almost two years now and i want to get it fixed but i need to know what kind of expense im going to be getting into, i dont want to do a complete rebuild on a 33k mile transmission so im hoping its just the TC. anyone have any ideas?

Not an auto tranny guy but I had one with a shift kit of some sort in it and it never shifted right so I took it out and put a stock valve body in it and that fixed all the problems.

Back