AOD swap day, *big pics*

7birdslater

Today was AOD swap day. Well not entirely, I only got the "new" one mated to the engine and called it a day. I found a chunk of metal in the old trans, looks like a small round screen thing that was mangled at some point. Also the old trans is way clean inside and had a torque converter that looked new with a 4-97 date on it. So I flushed it good and am using it. The old trans didnt have a problem with slipping, it just wouldnt shift into second. Can anybody ID this chunk?
Car on lift:
Tbirdonlift.sized.jpg

Chunk in pan
transchunk1.sized.jpg

I know you cant judge converters by their looks, but it looks new other than the fluid I spilled on it.

converter.sized.jpg

The "new" trans going up.

transgoingin.sized.jpg

Go get a rebuilt convertor. You don't want to pump small pieces of metal back into the new AOD.

I think you can get a rebuilt OEM for $99.

Jerry

I would do that, but my "new" trans is a used $175.00 hopefull from Rod. There were no other chunks or particles in the trans other than the large one in the pan, the pan magnets were very clean and I flushed the snot out of the converter. If this one craps the bed, I will have the old one im pulling rebuilt with a new converter. Im just trying it the poor mans way first:)

Anybody know what that chunk could be?

The little chunk is actually a screen that is in the valve body. It's main purpose is to keep out any large pieces of trash out of the valve body. It shouldn't hurt anything in the short term, but long term? It's been a couple of years since I had an AOD torn apart, so I don't know exactly where it goes in the valve body.

Cool. Judging by the way its crushed, I would say it went somewhere inside that it shouldnt have gone. The tailhousing has a giant crack in it as well. The thing has seen better days. :)

I had no screen in my VB that I remeber, and I just had it apart... Maybe that's why I had a problem:confused:

There is however a screen in the governor though... and its in the tailshaft...

unless I remember wrong...

Last edited:
I want to keep this trans in-case I ever need one rebuilt. I think im going to pull off the tailhousing and see whats inside.... I will post a pic. :)

Well I found what cracked the tailhousing, and why it wouldnt shift out of first gear, and probably why I found a screen chunk in the pan. On a side note, I found a rebuilders name and a date of April 96 on the case, and the converter had a date of April 97, and there is other writing on this thing. Sounds like it was a problem rebuild from the get go. Anybody have a picture of how the governer is supposed to look? Im wondering since the rest of the trans looks so good, if a new governer and tailhousing might fix it....

See all the chunks just as I found them
SC_trans_guts_rear.sized.jpg

These were riding around like that
SC_trans_guts_rear_2.sized.jpg

Its destroyed
SC_trans_guts_rear_3.sized.jpg

Think I can fix it?
SC_trans_guts_rear_4.sized.jpg

Back