How to remove door trim on a 95?

Ryan A Harris

I have a 94 parts car, the door is sold but I want to keep the trim off of it. I have no idea of removale for that piece. Can someone shed some light on how to remove the trim and still keep in good shape for installion later on, if need be. The trim I'm talking about is on outside of door. Starts on the door near the front fender, and ends on the rear quater panel.

Thanks for aany help.

I usually use a drywall taping knife. I hold the knife at an angle and apply steady pressure to slice through the adhesive tape attaching the molding to the body. This method is pretty quick, but you have to be very careful not to damage the paint or the molding.

A slight slower, but safer way (for the paint and molding) is to use fishing line to cut the adhesive tape. Use a sawing motion with the fishing line to slice through the adhesive tape.

-Rod

Fishing line might not work too well on the door molding, maybe for the letters on the trunklid .. id use something like a thin steel cable and a sawing motion to remove it carefully.

I usually do like you said and pry up near the door edges, and pull the rest by hand .. if you bend it too much, the paint will crack a little, so the putty knife helps if you can pull the molding back and run it down the adhesive side.

- Dan

Back