p/s question

SuperCoupeSC91

i'm selling my car to a guy in AL suposedly, won my car on ebay, but hes thinking of driving it back, my steering rack is shot and wont hold fluid, whats the worst that can happen to the p/s pump? would it just blow up or sieze?

How bad is the leak ?? Does it only come out when you turn the wheels or is there a constant stream ?

My rack has been shot for years, Air suspension put a strain on the rack and it leaks when I turn the wheels, sometimes it squirts out a stream on a hard turn. I just carry a bottle of power steering fluid and top it off when the pump starts to whine.

- Dan

if i fill it up it leaks out in maybe 2 mins, i dropped it off at a place to sell and i picked it up with a shot steering rack :( but anyways, just curious if this guy can make it home with a bad rack, i know i did from 20 miles away, just a little tough on the arms turning a little :)

Do you know where it is leaking from? May be a quick fix. If he drives from CT to AL with no fluid, he will be buying a pump when he gets home.
Clark

will it make it without seizeing, i'll tell him the pump will die, i'm a little concerned if it will sieze, then kill the belt after a while..

Just route the pressure hose from the pump to the reservoir. You should be able to get at it from underneath.

ive never seen one of these "junk" whing POS power steering pumps seize but theres always a chance of that with no fluid in it, if the rack is worn out the pump is most likely worn out also.

My buddy had one leaking bad a couple years ago, and needed to drive home on a army emergency leave. His was leaking enough that the fluid was clean from fresh being added often. A guy told him to try some Lucus Transmission stuff in it. His was low enough that he added 1/2 quart. Drove it 1 day, then added a little more, then drove home. He still has not replaced the rack, and it does not leak now. I drove the car this Spring, and like how it steers, since it is not so twitchy at speed. May be a little rough at first if it was in the Winter, but in your case, give it a shot.

That stuff is THICK, but mixed with PS fluid, and warmed up will be fine.

i'll try to be detailed, you fill it up, it streams pretty good out, driving maybe last 1 minute untill gone. i wana know if the guy leaves from my house in CT, if he can go to his house in AL and make it without it seizing, what i mean by ceizing, is the pulley itself, will it be turnable or not, the inside can go to hell :) the rack wont hold it, the rack needs to be re-done, or re-sealed, any options for this guy to drive it home? besides re-doing the rack? can the belts be routed to delete the p/s pump with a shorter belt?

why not just fix the car before he takes it, obviously hes going to need to fix it anyway, see if he will pay for the repairs, if not id tell him he can chance driving it or tow it home.

My brother had a 92 mustang that hedrove for about a year with a p/s pump that wouldnt hold fluid for more than 3 minutes. it finally seized as in it melted the housing and the engine wouldn't turn over. Originally he thought he seized the engine. We cut the belt, started the car and pulled it on the trailer. Maybe the driver can try the lucas with some p/s stop leak and see if that helps, but either way, hes taking a chance.

Back