Engine giving codes

TbSCbos13

Ok i got a 91 SC that i just got done spending 3000 on putting a new engine into last summer that is giving me trouble. It will run fine when i first start it but after it warms up it starts to idle rough , the check engine light comes on and occasionally it will die. I have the LCD climate control it flashes the code E7 and E2 i know one of them is the blower motor for the climate control but the not sure bout the other code. I was thinking a coil pack but i wanna troubleshoot it a bit more before i go start spending money. I want to get it running and back on the road soon so i can use it again before i go back to Iraq in august so any help would be appreciated. Thanks .
Bill O'Sullivan Philadelphia Pa.

Climate control codes:
88 - system OK
E1 - replace control assembly
E2 - blend door cannot reach desired position. possible failure at evaporator assembly or wiring to blend door actuator
E3 - in-vehicle sensor open
E4 - ambient sensor (mounted on radiator support) open
E5 - sunload sensor (mounted on defrost grille) short
E6 - blend door travel is out of range. possible failure at evaporator assembly or wiring to blend door actuator
E7 - blend door cannot calibrate. possible failure at evaporator assembly or wiring to blend door actuator
E8 - in-vehicle sensor short
E9 - ambient sensor (mounted on radiator support) short

The blend door is either stuck or the actuator needs to be replaced.

As far as the check engine light, you need to pull the codes for that.

Mike

Go to an auto zone. They will pull your codes for free and print you out the cause of them, and then they will try to sell you parts, but you dont have to buy them. Code reading is free there.

On our EEC- 1V (OBD-1) computers the check engine codes are not as direct as the later models (OBD- 2) in troubleshooting the problem. So I would get the codes off AutoZone and post them here before buying any parts.

TbSCbos13 said:
Ok what is the blend door a part of... heator coil? A/C unit?

Both. It moves back and forth to maintain the set temperature of the climate control. Where in Philly are you?
Mike

ok anybody got a price off hand and a how-to crash course instructions i can print or find somewhere?? In lower bucks .

The blend door actuator is located in the dash behind the center console. If you pull the glove box down you should be able to see it. It's rectangular and has a plug with four wires attached to it. The manual say you have to remove the dash to remove the actuator, but I think some have done with out going through that hassle. You could also diconnect the battery. I've done it for mine and typically will work afterwards.
Napa sells the actuator or at least they did.
If you need help I'm in Warrington.
Mike

Ok that explains a little more i was looking at my Chiltins manuel they didnt say n e thing about the blend door, I live in Bensalem i would appreciate the help if you have the time. I will be home on leave shortly so i'll be pretty free, just let me know. Thanks again Bill

TbSCbos13 said:
Ok that explains a little more i was looking at my Chiltins manuel they didnt say n e thing about the blend door, I live in Bensalem i would appreciate the help if you have the time. I will be home on leave shortly so i'll be pretty free, just let me know. Thanks again Bill

No problem. Pm me when you get back in the area and I gladly give you hand figuring this out. Did you ever pull the codes from the engine's computer?
Mike

Last edited:
yea i did my brother did he works at midas it is running lean, the left side O2 sensor is bad. I changed the engine after my left head gasget went and they never replaced the sensor, but i am getting it done this week before i get home

TbSCbos13 said:
yea i did my brother did he works at midas it is running lean, the left side O2 sensor is bad. I changed the engine after my left head gasget went and they never replaced the sensor, but i am getting it done this week before i get home

I'd replace both.
Mike

Back