steering wheel bounce

shawpdx1

kinda weird seems when i go over bumps my steering wheel is bouncin , I know my tires are balanced anybody have an idea or had a similar issue?

How about strut rod bushings? Does the steering wheel bounce when you hit the brakes as well? Have you had any front end work done recently?

yes I have. I replaced the arc with KYBS . lowered it 1.5 . had the front end check at a shop and had it alinged , it was doing the wheel shutter before I did all this. Ive checked and re checked the front end can't see anything odd

Are you sure your strut rod bushings are good? I would jack the front wheels up and try to move the wheel in every direction. It will help you pinpoint bearings, strut rods, loose steering rack, or ball joints if they are causing it.

well its a mystery to me except when i turn my wheel when its not running I hear a clunk noise mybe the steering knuckle?

Try jacking up the front wheels under the lower control arm as close to the lower ball joint as possible. Then try to shake the wheel up and down, and left and right. That should help you isolate the problem.

A low thud sound when turning a power steering system thats not powered is not uncommon. The rack is simply moving without power assist. Most of the time it will shoot fluid out the resevoir cap all over your engine bay if you crank it hard enough. Ball joints popping and strut rod bushings are the only noises ive ever heard in Tbirds so far. Good luck.

the universal joint in the steering column also makes this noise when its worn, check it, thats something that wouldnt be very nice if it was broken if you know what i mean :) thats not going to be your vibration though

shawpdx1 said:
kinda weird seems when i go over bumps my steering wheel is bouncin , I know my tires are balanced anybody have an idea or had a similar issue?

Are these stock or aftermarket wheels ? If aftermarket what size wheels and tires do you have ?

When I installed a set of 17 x 9 Cobra Rs, I could not get them to roll smooth until I had the tires balanced on a Hunter forced reaction balancer. A regular spin balancer just doesn't get it for 17" and larger wheels.

David

I also had a balance problem on my 18" wheels. I was told they were balanced when the tires were mounted. I took them to a dealer with a Hunter machine & found they were way out of balance. Presto, and fixed

Ken

Back