Lost 3rd gear at the track today, Synchomesh fluid didn't help it last any better.

Mike Puckett

SCCoA Member
I've missed a couple of 3rd gear shifts in the last few outings to the track. Well, today I crunched on my 1st and 2nd time trials, missed completely on my 1st elimination run and it crunches everytime now. I've been anticipating this but expected it to last a little longer with the Synchromesh fluid instead of the Mercon. The blockers actually lasted longer with the Mercon so I'm switching back. If Synchromesh is so good I'd noticed some benefit along the way but didn't, nada. Not quite 2 years before the blocker went. My last one with the Mercon lasted just over 2 years. The spare goes in this week, gotta run again next weekend. I finally get my reaction times down, wasted a .011 and a .079, and the tranny goes, sigh.

Damn, Mike. Sorry to hear about that. Let me know if you need an extra set of hands or muscle doing your tranny.

Did you get the PC running right though?

Re: SyncroMesh Fluid

Mike Puckett said:
expected it to last a little longer with the Synchromesh fluid instead of the Mercon.
Just Curious, What was the logic in trying the SyncroMesh fluid?

68COUGAR

You guys still battling with that PC? Have you tried the video card swap? I had fun down there hope you two are doing well.

P.S. Do you use friction modifier in the syncro mesh? Just curious because I used the stuff too but no modifier yet.

l8trz

-B

Last edited:
The reason I used the Synchromesh was because umteenmillion people have told me how good it was. But no, I didn't use any friction modifier. It definitely did not improve the fiber life. I now believe it's benefits to be a myth.
As for my computer, my Radeon 9200 card did fail. I replaced it with a GeForce 6200 256meg card and it is doing fine. The Geforce is slightly faster due to the extra RAM. It still takes too long for IE to boot up on occassion though. Sometimes IE boots right up and sometimes it seems to take fooorrrrreeeevvvveeeerrrr!

So glad to hear you got it running without any more trouble, yea that 6200 256 card is the same type of card I'm using, good bang for the buck. IExplorer was functioning properly and speedy when I was there but like you say it never fails when you want it to. Possibly spyware or something of the sorts ?? Try using http://housecall.trendmicro.com

Great free online virus/spyware scan, I use it all the time

I've started to think that there's a reason they call them ripper shifters, lol hope my tranny doesn't start feeling the burn, are you going to rebuild or just swap out for another one?

Last edited:
I've got another one ready to put in. I've got a mechanic friend at one of the Ford dealers who will swap it out for $100. We'll try to do it tomorrow afternoon after work there at the dealer. I usually keep one ready to go as the blockers usually only last 2 years or so with constant speed shifting. One of these days I'll switch it over to an AOD for bracket racing.
I've got microsoft's antispyware running and it hasn't found anything nor has McAfee's antivirus. I'll just have to live with it I guess.

Still think he needs to lose IE in favor of Firefox, but he's stubborn. Plus, he REALLY needs a reformatting and reinstall of XP.

Bummer, I've got synchromesh too. I heard it was on par with Redline MTL which is why I gave it a shot.

I think these tranny's just don't like to be beat on.

Micah

Yeh Micah, I think you're right. I've been thinking of converting over to an AOD but I just bought a Spec aluminum flywheel for the next clutch. When I run out of blockers, I think I will switch over. I can rebuild both of my trannys a couple of more times yet, though. When I use up the last 2 sets of blockers I'll sell both of them along with the flywheel and make the change over.

If you need to unload some fiber blockers let me know :)

And you may want to keep it manual for a little while longer. Rumor has it someone is working on a Richmond retro-fit. Hopefully it'll turn out good! Cause I know you don't want to take that RWHP loss either :)

Micah

Richmond retrofit?.......Shifter linkage one more thing to go wrong!..And easy BW;/Tremac 6 speed swap would be nice..Key word easy

I don't know anything about the richmonds, but said person liked the ability to choose gear ratios. Which is a set back with the F-Body T56...apparently you need a 4.10 rear end just to get back to stock gearing of a 2.73 5-speed!!! But yes, it is probably the most affordable and least fabricative swaps with some McLeod parts and all.

Micah

I was thinking more of consistency rather than rwhp although I'm fairly consistent with the 5 spd. Then again I have been driving manual transmissions for 40 years, which helps. I'm limited to 13.0 in Sportsman class anyway. Most everybody in the other more advanced classes use an automatic so when I eventually step up in class it'll be to my advantage.

JStudrawa said:
Still think he needs to lose IE in favor of Firefox, but he's stubborn. Plus, he REALLY needs a reformatting and reinstall of XP.

Think your right, might as well since he's corrected the freezing issue (bad video card), now he can have a fresh start :)

500 miles after my rebuild my second gear synchro goes bad and a little of third gear too.

Time for C4 with transbrake and reverse-manual valve body.

Josh, we can do a fresh install on my empty WD 30gig drive. It may be already be formatted in NTFS. I'll copy my files over to the other hard drive. I did try Firefox, Mozilla, and Netscape and didn't like them any better and they all suffered the same slow bootup problem.

Last edited:
If the fiber blockers just had a better more durable lining we wouldn't be having this problem. The paper based lining they use is garbage. I've thought about making a lining out of carbon fiber and an appropriate adhesive and applying it to the brass blockers in the grooves where the lining would be, then machining it smooth.

What about machining the brass blockers out and then coming up with an insert that could be pressed in? Sounds like a tedious process.

Micah

Back