Coolant leak help please (large pic included)

Loaded87IROCZ

I recently purchased a 90 SC 5 speed and am trying to track down a coolant leak on the pass. side next to the water pump. The bolts the coolant appears to be coming from are tight. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
coolant.jpg

I remember when I replaced my water pump at some of the bolts need to have thread sealant on them, just like some of the head bolts. Check one of the repair manuals it will tell you which ones need it. If the pump was replaced recently this could be the cause of the leak.

water leak problem

I have never had to put water jacket sealant on any of the bolts for the water pump, that isn't your problem, who ever replaced the pump didn't seat it flush against the timing chain cover most likely by not tightening the bolts evenly and/or they didn't put the bracket that atatches to the pump, on the right location, it either goes under the bolts or over them I can't remember off the top of my head. Simmple fix, take the pump off and reseal it. Hope this helps. Hal 91 sc

I just went through something similar with a 91 F150. Turns out I messed up the timing cover when I did the pump. I did have to use sealer on the bolts as they leaked like crazy. I would just take it down and "re-do" the water pump job, should fix it.

If coolant is coming out of the bolt holes then the front timing cover is most likely leaking. Not an uncommon problem on a 3.8.

X2

They even had an updated gasket a few years back for that problem. I used to put sealant on those bolts because IF YOU DONT, they can get coroded up and you can break the cover trying to get it off. Seen it done, try it yourself.

Chris

So it looks like timing cover is the most likely culprit. I will do a search on how to change that gasket. Thanks alot guys!

Dont forget the allen head bolt that is hidden under the oil pump and the two that com in from the pan...

Chris

Check that short hose as well, they are notorious for going bad. The quick fix, because that coolant line is probably not available from Ford any more, is to cut-off the crimped collar and install a short piece of heater hose with new clamps both ends.

I would sudgest a new bolt kit if your doing the timing cover. There are kits available that have front cover and water pump bolts. The F150 I did had the corroded bolts just like above, and they broke very easily. So I would get the bolts before you even start so your ready for it. Also a good time to check timing chain and oil pump. Good luck. :)

ipeefreely said:
I remember when I replaced my water pump at some of the bolts need to have thread sealant on them, just like some of the head bolts. Check one of the repair manuals it will tell you which ones need it. If the pump was replaced recently this could be the cause of the leak.

If memory serves me correctly its bolt #1 on the water pump that needs the white sealant tape wrapped on it otherwise it will leak. Bolt #1 should be the top bolt in your picture next to the ear on the water pump.

Shane

I have gotten my 89 back together and running, but it looks like it's leaking between the block and timing cover. Eddie (the-big-e) told me I could try tightening the bolts for the cover and see if that stops it. I'm not looking froward to tearing the front off again. The TC cover was in place, all I did was put the water pump on, but it doesn't appear to be leaking from the pump. Hope it's just the bolts need tightening.

Before you tear things down,try tightining the bolts. If that dose not work back out the studs one at a time and put some sealent on the threads and install. Removeing the timming cover and or water pump would be a last resort for me;)

I tightened the cover bolts I could see and get to and check the water pump bolts too, just for good measure. I cranked it and ran it for about 10 minutes with no signs of leaking. :cool: Now I need to get it finished so I can start enjoying it. :D

Thanks for the help.

quick35th said:
We need pictures David!!!! :D

Shane

Shane, please try to be patient. ;)

I got the brakes finished and drove it to work last night. Wow, what a difference from the 91. This car feels lighter and really feels like it wants to go. I guess that 240,000+ mile motor in the 91 was worn good.

I'll see if I can get some pics up and maybe a little video too. :cool:

Back