broke my crank, rebuild question

92redsc

So i broke my crank shaft on my 92 SC, and my friend has a good 4.2l f150 crank in his garage. I just need a cheap fix to get the car going so i was wondering if the stock rods will work with the 4.2 crank. I know the problems with the roots blower on a cast crank but its just got to last for a couple of months. If not i guess im looking for a crank. One more thing, how much are the stock crank, pistons, and rods supposed to handle??

Edit:if the stock rods will work, what will the compression ratio be?

Last edited:
I probably don't have enough of the technical knowledge to properly answer your question, but, i do remember hearing something about the SC crank being slightly different, and that an N.A crank won't work.

Like i said, im not really sure. Try a search, maybe you'll get something you can use.

G'luck
-Nick

The pistons are what is different on the 4.2. I think you could probably do it but you will have to monitor the boost. I would not want to go over 15psi if you are going to do it. That being said, I would not go over 10 if you are going to hammer on it. There are guys pusing lots o power out of a 4.2 but most of them dont have the weight on the front of the crank they have the power coming from a turdo.

Chris

You might want to get the block magnafluxed and checked for cracks before you rebuild. When the crank breaks it really unknown if anything else has broken with it so you want to have everything gone over with a fine tooth comb before you spend the time and the money rebuilding.

Back