IRCM Switch

thirdbird

Howdy,

Thought I'd share this idea.
I went ahead and did the Fan Mod that everybody has been talking about.
But, instead of cutting #14 and #17 wires and terminating them with quickconects, I ran some 3 wire from the IRCM to inside the car.
I tapped into the #17 wire with one, then connected the ends of the #14 wire to the other two wires, respectively. See pics below.
The other end of this 3 wire I then soldered to the terminals on a rocker switch(radio shack 3-post on/on) I located in the glovebox where the automatic gas door button is not, cuz my car doesn't have one.
Reason, I now have the ability to switch the Fan from stock mode to always on low/switch to high when super-hot mode, from inside the car.
I feel this is handy because I do not have to go under the hood every time I need the key-on and fan-off for whatever reason.
The always-on mode breaks the #14 wire, and connects the IRCM side of it to the #17 wire, same as JoiseyJim has told me. So Low Fan disengages whenever the IRCM switches High on.
The pic of the guage is where the needle hangs-out so far since the fan is kept on.
It usually went past the 'M' before the fan even kicked-on at all....
Also, the car is less doggish now......My stat is a 180.
This mod is simple and cheap.
Mr. Neibert sent me a diagram of a fan controller I could build, which I would have if not for this quick fix. One of the other guys bought a unit from www.dccontrol.com .
But the unit he used costs over $100, and I still have a radiator and exhaust to buy.

paul:D

Attachments

• IMG_4613.jpg
    IMG_4613.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_4614.jpg
    IMG_4614.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_4609.jpg
    IMG_4609.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 106
Last edited: