A/C question

T-bird Tim

I finally got my a/c fixed. I needed a new compressor. Had the rest of the system looked at, everything else was fine. Had the system charged and have been running it for three days. My temp gauge is now reading about 10 degrees above what it ran before I started using the a/c. Is this normal or does that sound like too much temp variation? The car is running steady at highway speeds with temp readings just over 210 degrees. Just want to make sure this is normal so I dont blow the head gaskets again. Thanks!

It makes sense that your car might run a little hotter with the AC functioning because the AC coil is adding heat to the air before it hits the radiator. I know a couple of guys with FMIC's that can't run their AC when it gets too hot because their cars will overheat. I think you will be fine.

yes it is normal for most cars but my 93 sc actually runs cooler because the high speed fan is on when the a/c compressor is running, but it also has a 180 t-stat, that may be why it does that. my 93 5.0 on the other hand runs hotter with the a/c on because it has an old school clutch fan so it moves the same amount of air with the a/c on as it does without it on, what im saying is check your fan, make sure the high speed is working, it should come on as soon as the a/c clutch kicks in.

Back