ok, last wire harness question.

Dahoopd

I cant get the right answers from the manual and EVTM so I have to pray you guys will help. I have been working on the passenger side for the past week and re-running the harnesses, fuel lines and heater hoses. It looks damn good. Not sure if this beast will run when I am done but it will look neat.

Can I cut and lengthen the MAF wire without screwing up the way it works. The main wire is red and I need it about a foot longer. I have a foot of the right wire from another harness.

I appreciate everyones patience and am thankful for the people that do help and respond. You Gents really do make a club what it should be. Thanks again for the patience

Yes you can extend the MAF harness wires, but be sure to use equal gauge wire and solder the connections then seal with heat shrink....do not use a crimp style connector.

David

David Neibert said:
Yes you can extend the MAF harness wires, but be sure to use equal gauge wire and solder the connections then seal with heat shrink....do not use a crimp style connector.

David

UH! OH!...................

Dave other than MAF, the rest of the harness was crimped, heatshrink covered and then cloth taped followed by wire loom. Is that bad. They arent your standard crimps. I got them from an electronics store. They called them nipplets (not what I know as a nipplet). They are silver (not color) crimps. I explained to the lady that it was for a wire harness in a car and she said it would be conductive enough. But this was an electronic store. They dont know squat about cars.

Dave, thanks for responding. I only have this one thing left on the passenger side. I would hate to think now with your insight that I jazzed up all of my effort.

Just from my own personal experience, using crimp joints is not reliable.Too much room for error, and also a big chance of unwanted resistance. By chance do you have a pic of the crimp joints you used?

If I have to re-do it, then I will have to get another harness. I got it down to where I want the wires after all of the hassles. I will just need to solder if these arent going to work. Like I said, I covered in heatshrink, cloth electrical tape and then wire loom.

Attachments

• Crimp.jpg
    Crimp.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 50
it's ok

If those are the seamless connectors and you cut and crimped very carefully and covered in heatshrink tubing you will be fine. I have built several harnesses this way and had no problems, even in racing applications.

Back