Headlight Problems

Mitch90BlackSC

I probably shouldn't have done this but...
I recently bought aftermarket headlights for my 90 SC, and they don't fit correctly. I can't get the funny looking clips on right. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Any ideas would be helpful.

Which clips? The ones that retain the headlight to the header panel?

I had a similar issue where it seemed like the assembly wouldn't push back far enough to expose the slot the clips slide into .

Make sure the adjustments are all turned back on the headlights. Then make sure nothing is binding and keeping it from moving back.

Then last you could use a small file to make the slot wider. But that may place your headlights too far out from the header panel.

Just back off/unscrew the rubber holders a bit until they all fit at the slot is just inside the header pannel. That should do it.

Headlights cont...

Thanks for the info, Mike.
That's EXACTLY what my problem is. The black rubber piece won't push back far enough for the clips to slide into their grooves. Nothing hitting, no interference-I checked. Just doesn't seem to fit right. BTW, is there a special tool for doing this adjustment? I can't get mine adjusted without taking the clips off and taking the lenses back out. I can get a socket on the back, but I can't get a screwdriver in the front to hold it.

Re: Headlights cont...

Mitch90BlackSC said:
BTW, is there a special tool for doing this adjustment? I can't get mine adjusted without taking the clips off and taking the lenses back out. I can get a socket on the back, but I can't get a screwdriver in the front to hold it.

Same issue I had. I just pushed hard. This was new lights into a new header panel. If the headlight assembly is not angled properly, it can bind.

I just used a needle nose pliers to turn the black pieces and didn't need to prevent anything from in front from turning. So I'm not sure what is happening with yours.

You might want to consider returning them and trying some from a different source. Where did yours come from?

Image below shows them along with the big gap from my accident with a deer.

bentfrontexample.jpg

Headlight problems cont...

JESUS, Mike. Thanks for the EXCELLENT pics!!! Unbelievable.
I'll try your tip with my needle nose vise grips and a socket wrench. I was trying to get a screwdriver in the front housing and thought maybe there was some kind of flat 90 degree screwdriver tool for just such purposes. I really have to push hard on the lenses to get them back and I don't want to break it.

I had to push hard too, and in the end I relied on the fact that the plastic is slightly flexible, and thus used a pliers to force the locking tab into the slot once just a part of the slot was visible.

My headlights tend to stick out a little more than I think they should... so there is some thought in my head that the $60 new headlights from the salvage yard may not have been the best choice.

Someday I'll fix it up with a dremel by identifying exactly where things bind up and then grind things out of the way to get a better fit.

Good luck.

Back