15 Minute Spark Plug Job

X

xThunderbirdSCx

Wow guys.......all i have to say is deleting the AC and installing a custom FMIC has made changing the spark plugs a cinch. All i have to remove is the intake tube, the upper IC and the lower IC tube and i have access to all 6 plugs from above.

I gapped and changed the plugs in 15 mins flat. :D

Anyone who doesnt use AC religiously i suggest just dumping it. Its easy as pie and all you need to do is buy a smaller belt (54 inches i think) and mod the tensioner.

FMICs are easy to fab up also. ;)

xThunderbirdSCx said:
Wow guys.......all i have to say is deleting the AC and installing a custom FMIC has made changing the spark plugs a cinch. All i have to remove is the intake tube, the upper IC and the lower IC tube and i have access to all 6 plugs from above.

Anyone who doesnt use AC religiously i suggest just dumping it. Its easy as pie and all you need to do is buy a smaller belt (54 inches i think) and mod the tensioner.

Thanks for the PM"s about the FMIC, but I HAVE to keep the A/C here in Atlanta :( Otherwise I'd hop on your idea.

Thinking of going with a Fast Freddy DIC after I spent a night trying to cut a spare one. Screw that!

must be nice, took me 40 minutes to just take mine out. The whole jacking up the car part is the time eater. Picking up some Autolite 103's tonite, since 5 of my iridiums are a nice red color, and #5 looks like its running lean and was getting a miss. Which plugs did you put in Bill?

rzimmerl said:
must be nice, took me 40 minutes to just take mine out. The whole jacking up the car part is the time eater. Picking up some Autolite 103's tonite, since 5 of my iridiums are a nice red color, and #5 looks like its running lean and was getting a miss. Which plugs did you put in Bill?

The red color on your plugs is more than likely caused by seasonal gas additives.

David

David Neibert said:
The red color on your plugs is more than likely caused by seasonal gas additives.

David

Yep. And it freaked me out the first time I pulled one of my plugs and saw that it was red, too.

-Rod

Any ideas on why #5 is running different than the rest? This is only the 2nd tank of gas in the car since last october when i put it in storage, and the plugs might have 2000 miles on them. I did some searches and it seams that Autolite 103's will be best for my car. I am running 19psi @4500 rpm now, i added an MP inlet, 76MM mafs over the 73, and raised top this year. It was tuned at 17 psi with out those parts.

rzimmerl said:
Any ideas on why #5 is running different than the rest? This is only the 2nd tank of gas in the car since last october when i put it in storage, and the plugs might have 2000 miles on them. I did some searches and it seams that Autolite 103's will be best for my car. I am running 19psi @4500 rpm now, i added an MP inlet, 76MM mafs over the 73, and raised top this year. It was tuned at 17 psi with out those parts.
I have no idea, but if you find out let me know....that's the piston I melted and still never determined a specific reason. I even sent my injectors out to have them flow tested, but they all came back flowing within 2% of each other. Maybe the fuel rail design is the culpret.

Dave........here are the pics as requested.

I reuted the new belt from the alternator, up over the top of the Modded tensioner, down under the water pump, around the passenger side of the crank pulley back up around the power steering to the alternator again.
06-13-06_1154.jpg

06-13-06_1152.jpg

Oh how simple it is now to reach those suckers! LOOK AT EM! Theyre R I G H T T H E R E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
06-13-06_1153.jpg

I can do mine in about 20-30 min also. With a stuby swivle head 3/8 and 1 short extension.

With the huge-arse ABS unit removed (not sure if the 94/95 stang tubular manifolds make a huge difference?) The driver side is a breeze, and the passenger side can be done totally by feel from the bottom...

that IC looks nice, but you really need to consider the size when it comes to installing one.

A big arse IC really ist necessary and it will just weigh down your car.

Also consider that the different side inlet/outlet will cause you to run more tubing with more complicated bends.

I ran a same side inlet/outlet and it worked out well. Looks stock and keeps the engine bay clutter free.

xThunderbirdSCx said:

I agree on the AC. I have mine down to 35 minutes flat with stock IC and removed AC. But of course i am a skinny relentless bastard.

reverse problem

This is a little off subject but down here in south Texas, I was considering adding a second a/c system. Any ideas as to how hard that would make changing the plugs?

Please start your own thread.

But back to MY subject :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

j/k

Last edited:
The FMIC project has been one of the best mods, and one of the easiest mods to do so far (with the exception of the welding).

Removing the AC condenser, and compressor, and dryer saved me 67lbs off the front end of the car. That right there is a good traction and handling advantage.

Like i said, unless AC is extremely necessary and you cant just go with the windows down, remove the AC. Even if you dont add a FMIC, it will improve airflow to the radiator, and will make changing plugs much easier. I can see evry plug and plug wire from the top, and i dont have to "see with my fingers", or feel around for plugs.

JStudrawa said:
Thanks for the PM"s about the FMIC, but I HAVE to keep the A/C here in Atlanta :( Otherwise I'd hop on your idea.

Thinking of going with a Fast Freddy DIC after I spent a night trying to cut a spare one. Screw that!

It is very possible to run the FMIC with the condenser. Just install it in front and use the same side inlet/outlet. Then install a big fan on it and it will work great. :D

Last edited:
How would you run the pipes with the condenser? Especially with a stock one. I checked it out when i removed the radiator, and i didn't see any room.

-nick

Did you remove all the AC stuff behind the firewall? if you did; how hard was it to get to. ATM i just kinda broke mine off at the firewall, lol

Back