TwoToneThunder

gots me a problem guys

the car will run for a brief time
then she stalls out and wants to reverse itself

the cats are getting gutted

any other suggestions?

Haunted Shifter

TwoToneThunder said:
the car will run for a brief time, then she stalls out and wants to reverse itself
Assuming you have an auto tranny, are you saying that the shifter moves itself from Park to Reverse? :confused:

Confused 68COUGAR

ummm...............:confused: :D :rolleyes:

thats............not..........normal.........:eek:

TwoToneThunder said:
gots me a problem guys

the car will run for a brief time
then she stalls out and wants to reverse itself

the cats are getting gutted

any other suggestions?

Sounds like a vacuum leak. I don't really think the engine is trying to run backwards. Sounds like it's doing the Elinore death rattle and then stalling.

Does this only happen at idle ?

David

well................

i had done some work to the car changing the water pump and stuff and the car would idle real high and i was having a problem with it stalling out while coming to a stop
before i got that problem fixed the started went bad on it so i had to towed to a shop to have that replaced and have them look at the other problem
while at the shop the car fired up after the starter was replaced and seemed to be running a little odd (battery was just connected) like it was learning itself
then all of a sudden it just started shaking one way then died and shook the other way like it tried going the other way in which my flywheel teeth and my starter teeth were ruined
now a year later ive got the itch to get it running again so shes at the shop getting the flywheel and starter put back in

im just worried and im trying to find out possible things that could be wrong because i want it to run now repeat itself and have to replace the flywheel again ya know what i mean?

the cats have been through hell a balancer and headgaskets going within a short time and not to much before this incident
they are at the shop getting gutted so they will be eliminated from the list of problems upon start up

i was thinking timing but the car did refire and run normal and then stall out again a few times before the teeth were to far gone

im doubting its a timing chain

im going with a cam or crank sensor anybody else thinking the same way?

to add to my reasoning on the cam sensor i did have my tach quit on me a few times the week before all of this happened and the check engine light would come on and the tach would come back

im hoping dave neibert or dalke could answer this

would a cam sensor or clogged cats cause my car to do anything like this???????

TwoToneThunder said:
to add to my reasoning on the cam sensor i did have my tach quit on me a few times the week before all of this happened and the check engine light would come on and the tach would come back

im hoping dave neibert or dalke could answer this

would a cam sensor or clogged cats cause my car to do anything like this???????

With what you mentioned about the tach, I would try changing the cam sensor.

The crank sensor is usually an all or nothing thing...meaning it works or it doesn't. However I have heard of coolant residue on the crank sensor interfering with the signal so it might be worth spraying it off at the car wash.

I don't think the engine problems your describing are related to the starter ring teeth getting screwed up. Even if the motor was turning backwards it wouldn't cause the starter bendix to engauge.

David

Back