Replacing rear hubs

I just did mine right rear on my sc cause i had a bad wheel bearing ....it is very easy actually all u need really is a 36mm socket.....a breaker bar....and a three jawed-puller....all i got from autozone.... plus the normal tools......lossen hub lock with the breaker bar....take off wheel....remove caliper and caliper housing along with rotor....Remove nut and bolt that hold upper control arm to aluminum knuckle and tie upper control arm out of the way. remove bottom two as well.......use three jawed puller to push half-shaft out of the hub(could use a hammer too but i recommend against it) then repeat in opposite order to put back in.....ford recommends though that u dont reuse the 36mm wheel lock....

i have the haynes manual for the sc and i just followed it step by step.....very helpful for only 15 dollers....

i think you forgot the part about having the old hub pressed out of the bearing and the new hub pressed in,you need a 20 ton press to do that.but your right about removing the knuckle.

I threw the hubs in the freezer over night. Got everything set up and one by one pressed them in easily.

Ken

Might want to check the hub for trueness or whatever, and make sure its good. A bad wheel bearing can make a NEW Pressed bearing bad later.

Ok Thanks guys. I am changing to cobra hubs in the rear.

Ken hwo di dyou pres steh hub on?..While on the car? I just want to have agood idea of what I need to do beforee diving in and having a non drivable vehicle

Thanks!

DamonSlowpokeBaumann said:

Ken hwo di dyou pres steh hub on?..While on the car? I just want to have agood idea of what I need to do beforee diving in and having a non drivable vehicle

Thanks!

The hub gets pressed in the bearing and then the hub to the knuckle but Ken might have a shortcut. I dont think you can properly press the hub on to the knuckle while its on the car.

DamonSlowpokeBaumann said:

Thanks!

Sorry Damon I had it out of the car. Just that putting in the freezer the night before makes it easier to press it in.

Ken

Last edited:
yes freezer trick works fine i also freeze blower shafts before pressing out bearings it makes it so easy the metal contracts making it come off with less pressure so less chance of stressing the component or galling the hub or what ever your working on. good tip

when your pressing in the new bearings into the knuckle, use the old bearing between the press and the new bearing as center press support.... and when you press the new hub into the bearing use the old bearing underneath the new bearing without the snap ring installed as support so it can fully hold all of the new bearing and support it while u press the new hub.

Back