Turn Signal Flasher?

darkstar_one

Yo, well lately my LEFT TURN signal has been blinking and clicking really fast. Alot faster than normal. Well when i do a right turn it blinks normal, it only does it makin a left turn. I checked out the HAZARD lights and it seems that my DRIVER SIDE REAR TURN SIGNAL BULB is not flashing, the front one is, it flashes normal with the hazards, but the rear driver side bulb doesnt flash. I tried checking it with the IGNITION ON AND turning on the LEFT TURN SIGNAL and it begins to flash fast but still the DRIVER SIDE REAR TURN BULB doesnt work. anyone?> thanks.

Usually the fast blinking indicates that a bulb needs replacing. Replace the bulb and I think your problem is gone?

i replaced the bulb in the back with the one from the other side and still nothing, it still doesnt blink. it keeps blinking fast.... anyone?

darkstar_one said:
i replaced the bulb in the back with the one from the other side and still nothing, it still doesnt blink. it keeps blinking fast.... anyone?
if your right turn signal blinks at a normal rate, then its either a bulb out or wrong bulb, or a socket problem or a circuit break.
The impedance doubles when a bulb is blown or removed, so the blinker sees less current and the bi-metallic element inside does not get as hot.
Check your sockets and wiring, if its not the bulb, you have a break somewhere.....
good luck,

paul

it started doing this way before i removed the dash to replace the heater core, it would sometimes blink really fast turning to the left only, and then it would blink normal, this was way before i removed the dash though, i never did checked it out before i removed the dash. Sometimes it just wont blink it all, the whole thing goes dead, and then i try to see if the RIGHT TURN starts to flash and still nothing, then it comes back on like nothing happened. but that only happens when i still make the LEFT TURN. IM going to check out the socket, any particular place i should start at. thanks.

I suggest that you first check the left brake light. If it works when the brake pedal is depressed, then the multi-function switch is causing your problem.
If the left rear parking light works, then the ground connection to the bulb socket is O.K.
Try unplugging and reconnecting the connectors to the multi-function switch.

Last edited:
ya if your sockets are good--likely they are--i would next swap-out the MF switch.....U-Pull It.......

paul

Blinker Wand

If you take out your multi function switch, or 'blinker wand', it is pretty easy to take apart and clean up the electrical contacts. Be careful to not loose any of the springs and take it slow, studying how the pieces go together before separating each piece. Use a fine sand paper to wet sand the copper contacts, using WD-40 as the lubricant. Then if the copper contacts appear worn, give them a slight bend to have better contact to one another once reassembled. Use a grease lubricant suitable for electrical connections, often called "dielectric grease", to lubricate the whole assembly. Add some of this grease to the white plastic pieces that join into the steering column, and the blinker switch will feel like new for a long time.

Ron Severson
1990 5-speed
"Blinker wand feels like new"

sorry about the stupid post, anywho, can this be why my windshield wipers dont work anymore also? i checked the delay box and everything is plugged in.... they were working fine... anyone? thanks...

Last edited:
darkstar_one said:
sorry about the stupid post, anywho, can this be why my windshield wipers dont work anymore also? i checked the delay box and everything is plugged in.... they were working fine... anyone? thanks...

sounds like you need another MF switch.(the 'wand' assembly)
cheap upullit item..I have a spare, but i have 2 birds so i'm keeping it....

well... i hit the brake lights and exactly what i thought, the rear driver side light doesnt turn on at all, it only turns on when u hit the headlight switch, but doesnt light up to indicate braking or turning... so what can this be? maybe a bad ground? were can i start to check, i still get the fast turn left flashing...

thirdbird said:
then its either a bulb out or wrong bulb, or a socket problem or a circuit break.
Check your sockets and wiring, if its not the bulb, you have a break somewhere.....
good luck,

paul

I will add that if it is definitely not the bulbs you tried, that if it were me id start looking wherever i recently messed around with wiring.
One tail and not the other @brake pedal is a tricky one to find.....
Did you try another turn signal fixture yet?

okay, check this out, i moved the big stack of wires that run along the steering shaft underneath the dash, it fixed the problem and the windshield wipers came on, now, the problem went over to the right side, now the right side flashes fast and the brake light for the passenger rear side doesnt come on either and doesnt flash either.... i take it maybe a the wiring is loose? how do i check the multifunction switch wiring? is it easy to check out and replace?

I suspect that the connectors for the multi-function switch are not seated properly because the functions that are routed through it (wipers, turn signals, brake lights) are giving trouble while the parking lights are not.
If you remove the plastic shroud around the steering column (between the dash and the steering wheel) and unscrew the two bolts that hold the multi-function switch to the steering column, you will be able to reseat the connectors into the multi-function switch and also move the switch and wires around to see if that has any affect on the turn signals or wipers.
The odd-shaped connector on the top (nearest to the hazards switch) is for the turn signals while the T-shaped connector is for the wipers. The third connector (which is rectangular and has four wires) is for switching between high and low beams.

Back