Intake Modifications

SK_BlownThunder

Is it better to run a cone filter off the intake all the way down where the air silencer would normally be, or is it better to run it straighter and on top of the stock plate where the OEM air box would normally be. I know it is best to get the air running directly through the MAF as can be (no bends) but does it make a difference between the two designs?

well yes,

A filter on a stick or the ram air is only as good until the engine bay warms up, then its even worse, and you can lose performance and gas milage.

the cold air or filter in the fender wall is better because it recieves fresh air and as such is better for cumbustion.

now i believe the RAI (ram air intake) can also include a heatshield, but its still only there for looks.

go with a CAI (cold air intake) for better performance. watch out for sharp bends, as i have heard that it throws the maf readings off, and can throw a CEL. better to put the maf before the bend than after the bend.

I really otice the gains when i used to have an air box and silencer it was weak on hot afternoons. but now its like driving on a cool morning. And theres a nice extra bit of supercharger whine added in with the extra throttle response and extra gas mileage(minmal gains)

IMO, Having the filter in the engine bay is fine, so long as you have a divider of some type to keep the filter from drawing in hot air. I've had both styles and there was no difference in performance or sound. I think the MAC intake looks the best, but don't like the sharp bends just before the MAF, and the ZR intake is no longer being produced. So your only alternative may be an engine bay mounted filter like the Magnum Powers intake system.

David

Last edited:
David Neibert said:
. I think the MAC intake looks the best, but don't like the sharp bends just before the MAF, and the ZR intake is no longer being produced. So your only alternative may be an engine bay mounted filter like the Magnum Powers intake system.

David

There is also the J.L.T

yeah JLT

tbirdaj said:
There is also the J.L.T
http://www.jlttruecoldair.com

they seem to have a high opinion of themselves, but if they are the best....looks easy enough as well, one straight pipe.

i think that the hardist thing was removing that air box, in the fender.... not thats its too hard, but its the worst part of the job.

Last edited:
Best Of Both ????

My approach is either the best of both approaches or a compramise between the two ...

1. Removed Air Silencer

2. Have K&N Flat Panel Filter

3. Drilled several 1/2 holes through the bottom of the filter box into the fenderwell area where the silencer used to be ... I'm going to use a plasma cutter to get rid of as much of this material as possible w/o removing the mounting bolts used to hold the box down ... maximize air flow into the box

4. Used some weatherstrip type gaskets to seal between the outside bottom edge of the box and the engine bay ... there was a gap that could have allowed hot engine air to enter instead of the cold air comming thru the silencer area

5. Originally used a 3" tube obtained from the local exhaust shop (~$20) and some 3" silicone connectors obtained from Autozone .... I now have the 3.5 inch tube from Payton ... if anyone goes this route, make sure you tell Payton you are using the stock filter housing instead of the cone type filter

I believe this approach eliminates any concerns regarding the MAF and provides all the cold air I will ever need ... unless I build an all out racecar in the future ... doubtfull as this is my daily driver

Only drawback is I may not get as much SC whine ... and that is a concern now isn't it:D

Attachments

• Intake.jpg
    Intake.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 124
miracle juice ...

A little WD-40 works wonders under the hood ... I learned this trick back when I used to race Moto-X ... kept the engine nice and shiny and makes any dirt a lot easier to clean off ... also helps keep water out of electrical connections

I Got A Newer Mustang Maf That Has The Flat Mounting Surface, Made A Flange Adapter That I Can Put My 9" X 4" K&n Filter On, And Slid It Down Into The Inner Fender ( Had To Cut Alittle Sheet Metal From Around The Old Hole). Then Got A Mandrel Bend 45 And Some Silicone Connectors And Done. Whole Thing W/ Bigger 80mm Maf Was $85. Cool Air, Good Power For The Buck, And I Can Say I Did It Myself!

I just bought a cone filter, and used a 45 degree piece of 3" intercooler pipe. The 45 was probably too tight, but i couldnt find a 30. I just cut it to fit, and used two couplers.

I have to build a heat shield to block it from sucking in hot air. I'll get around to that eventually. I didn't notice any improvement in performance, nothing i could really feel. Im just happy about the blower whine.

-Nick

Heres a pic:
100_0837.jpg

Mine's down low...

I ran my filter all the way into the fenderwell.
with the car running, when I open the hood and touch the intake pipe, it is roughly the same temperature as outside air, regardless of underhood temps.
there was a slight but noticeable improvement in response and power, but not enough to warrant the $67 I paid for it from ebay.
I'll make the next one for my 5.0, and still run it into the fender.... the colder the air the better IMO, especially if you haven't modded the thermo/radiator fan...

paul

Back