Emergency Brake Problems

Hosmer79

I have a 94 5 Spd and while pakring it in the driveway last night I pulled my e-brake and it popped and all the tension came out of it. While looking under it this morning I noticed the rear tension assembly by the differential was just hanging there. I could not remember for the life of me how this was attached before. It may be as simple as a fix of welding the piece back to the frame but it also looks like I may be missing a piece or something in the assembly.

How can I check to see if a line itself snapped? What should be my steps in figuring out where the problem is. I have attached some pictures including one from before it broke.

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

Attachments

• 94SC E Brake (1) .jpg
    94SC E Brake (1) .jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 71
  • 94SC E Brake (2) .jpg
    94SC E Brake (2) .jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 75
  • 94SC E Brake Before .jpg
    94SC E Brake Before .jpg
    102 KB · Views: 69
thats how mine is, it just hangs there also, doesnt bother me.. does ur dangle and starts making annoying noise or what?

No noise....but e-brake doesn't work!

I haven't noticed any noise yet from it dangling there. I can find a way to hold it up without a problem but I'm more concerned with getting the e-brake to work.

Mine did the same thing because I used 2 hands to pull the ebrake handle up.
I was trying to get it out of the way to remove the center console for a tranny fluid swap.
it just barely grabs at the very end of travel, so I have not gone down there to f' with it already.....
Is the fix obvious, or do I need to go shopping???

paul

Looks to me like either the cable broke or it stretched, or it came disconnected from the handle. Notice the length of the cable outside of the sleeve in the after photo. Have someone sit inside and pull the handle while you watch to see if it moves on the outside.

usually they dont just hang there, they are supposed to be attached to the sway bar with a zip tie, yes, thats right, a factory zip tie!! but that should affect the way it works, i also say check the ends of the cables, i had to replace all of mine on my 5.0 bird.

Last edited:
Center Console

Well looking in the slot of the e-brake it doesn't look like the cable is connected to the handle any more. I don't see the end of laying there though. What holds the center console in? When I open the lid I see the two screws that hold the shifter section but not sure what's holding the box down. I'm guessing the end of the cable is laying under there somewhere. Thanks for all the thoughts and ideas!

take the rubber pad out of the bottom and there are 2 screws under there that hold it to the floor. also after you take the lid off completely there is a bracket under the hinge that will come loose

This sucks...

Well I got the center console loose enough to see in there and found that the end of the cable was no longer attached to the e-brake handle. I attached the pictures to show exactly what I mean. Any way I can fix this without having to replace the whole cable? You can see on the left side of the pictures what looks like the end of a clothes line pin almost. I'm assuming this is suppose to have a piece at the end so that it can loop on to the hook at the end of the e-brake handle.

Also I still couldn't seem to get the center console out completly. I removed the center console where the shifter was alright but the center box section still didn't not want to come out. I'm assuming I'll have to take that whole section out to fix/replace this.

Thanks for any help guys!

Attachments

• ebrake (1).jpg
    ebrake (1).jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 40
  • ebrake (2).jpg
    ebrake (2).jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 41
  • ebrake (3).jpg
    ebrake (3).jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 43
i would replace all of the cables, it most likely came off because you had to pull too hard because they are all corroded up, and to get the console all the way out there are some screws up on the very front of it attaching it to the instrument panel, but you have to take off the top part of the console to get to them, be careful with your ride control and fog lamp switches because the wires are not very long and its easy to break the switches if you pull too hard

Back