DIS mounting surface question

Dahoopd

I recently had my brackets JetHot coated and neglected to to tell them not to cover the pad where the DIS mounts.

Does this create a problem?
Do I need to remove the coating?
Can I just put the Heat Sink Compound down and bolt it on?
What has everyone else done that coated their brackets?

Thanks, D

(whats the safest way to remove the coating without destroying the mounting surface?)

i believe

that as long as its grounded with the screw its fine. dont know for sure, but try it and if it doesnt start then strip it. i only secured one srew the one with an "X" and my car started, this was when i tried the heatsink type application, now i use arctic silver 5 and im good.
firewall
O-------O
[ DIS ]
O-------X

P D
Dahoopd said:
I recently had my brackets JetHot coated and neglected to to tell them not to cover the pad where the DIS mounts.

Does this create a problem?
Do I need to remove the coating?
Can I just put the Heat Sink Compound down and bolt it on?
What has everyone else done that coated their brackets?

Thanks, D

(whats the safest way to remove the coating without destroying the mounting surface?)

I don't think you want anything btween the dis and the aluminum except for the heat sink compound. I would take the coating off, just my opinion.

I would just worry about how the coating will affect the heat transfer from the DIS to the bracket. Wouldnt want to fry it. To be safe you could dremel the coating off and never know since its under the DIS.

Sorry about the bad pic, but you could also stick a heatsink under it. The one in the pic has a spacer under it so it doesint touch the jackshaft bracket and it rarely gets too hot to touch. Gotta make sure it's short and narrow so it'll fit though. Just a thought.

Attachments

• disheatsink.JPG
    disheatsink.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 88
Take some sand paper and clean off the paint, then use something like Goof Off to clean both surface areas (DIS and mounting point). Then if you really want to get crazy you can use tooth paste and rub it in for a LONG time and it will bring out a brilliant shine and fill in all the small holes(circular motion), that’s not necessary but can help. Once you got your surface(s) nice and clean use some of that Arctic Silver (Good Stuff but $$) with a credit card or something similar and smear on a good even coat but not too thick. Once all that is done tighten down the DIS, don't over tighten as you might squeeze out all the Arctic silver rendering your hard work useless.

This is overkill but works great on CPU's :D

yuppers

thats the shiznight right there arctic silver 5, found at frys or a computer store, not radio shack...

worth the money, definatley.
had this misfire thing, when the car got warmed up, i used arctiv silver 5 and then cleaned the injectors, no more:D dont know what fixed it but i dont really care

If there is heat sink or arctic siler between the two. Would it matter that the mounting surface is coated. JetHot is suppose to dissipate heat anyway. Figured I would ask before I start sanding. Thanks

Hi,

You will be best to run a seperate ground wire from the chassis to one bolt of your DIS as well.....This will eliminate the possibility of any grounding issues....
I do this with the DIS and COIL Pack too, then I attach the wires to one of the nuts that holds the solinoid to the chassis.
I also run an 8 guage wire fron batt to this point. It has solved some running issues in the past for me, and takes away some guesswork when I get new ones....
I can add pictures if you want......

paul

Whether you use a heatsink or just your jackshaft bracket, make sure its got metal to metal contact, with the exception of the thermal grease of course. As with most electronics if they heat up too much they dont work for very long. the bracket is attached directly to the head, which I'm pretty sure is why the dis/location was changed after 93.

Last edited:
Back