Problems after dash swap

PjsBird

Hi there.

I'm having some problems after putting a black dash (from a 91 5 spd) into my 89 auto.

I got everyhting working fine.

Except my car wont start. lol.

There are 2 plugs hanging from the dash that I did not have on my 89's dash harness, and one that was on both.

The one on both had some sort of plastic cap on the auto dash, but not on the 5spd dash, so i swapped it over.

the other two are also in the pic at the bottom. When I turn the key all the lights come on on the instrument panel, but i dont even get the click of the solanoid. just the fuel pump.

HPIM0503.jpg

Any help is greatly appreciated.

-Preston

89 and 91 do not have the same EEC pinout. You started this swap without the 89 and 91 wiring schematics?

Jerry

swap

i figured between an 89 and 91 there wouldn't be alot of diffference.

apparantly i was wrong. How can this be fixed without removing the dash?

I just threw away an Auto dash from a 91, I could have looked on there and easily figured out the wire harness connectors.

Are you using the 89 Steering column ?? Are these coming from the steering column area of the dash ?

If it comes down to it, you could always swap all of the wiring from the 89 to the 91 dash. Its a little work to do, plus taking the dash back out, but thats why you test it out before you put your car back together.

- Dan

wiring

I think im gonna end up swapping the harnesses over.

they do come from the steering column area, but i have tried using the other steering column as well and still nothing.

the stereo harness is working ok, and all the connections lined up except those 3.

i really dont want to pull the dash harness, but is that what i have to do???

I also installed a 5speed dash in an auto without thinking about the clutch setup.
You have to pull the dash out again and change the main wiring harness for the auto setup. Those wires run to the EEC, and they control the clutch setup. I was able to get the sc going with those wires, but I ended up screwing the EEC.

Back